Main Menu

Radial Engine

Started by feher, July 04, 2011, 02:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Here is something I did today. I took two models from GrabCad and combined them to make this Radial Engine.
Rendered in KeyShot, Lighting done in HdrLightStudio, and post work done in Photoshop.
Mitrofan Dragos Vasile is the Designer for the engine and Jan Elg is the Designer for the propeller. This images would never happen withou both of them. Thanks guys.
Enjoy,
Tim

Ed

Hi Tim - Another great model and render.  Perfect choice for the backplate.

I hope you don't mind some post work I did here.

In addition to Photoshop, I have Paint Shop Pro.  They have an effect called "Time Machine" where you can make an image resemble any one of several styles of photography dating back to the mid 1800's.

This style is called Autochrome, one of the earliest methods of producing color photos, circa 1904.

Basically it looks like it is de-saturated with some noise added for a grainy effect.

Ed

feher

Hi ED,
Thanks buddy glad you liked it.
Nice work on the early 1900 photo look. Perfect choice.
Thanks.
Tim

Speedster

Thanks for sharing, Tim- you've been doing some neat stuff lately.  Plus, I'm a nut for radials!  Here's a few shots of the Wright Whirlwind (from the Spirit of St. Louis) I did several years ago, and was one of my first hard-core KeyShot projects.  I posted this a long time ago, but most of the newer members have not seen it.  The SolidWorks model was a bit of work, but at least almost everything is x9.  I never did a prop, but I'll probably try the one from GrabCad, which I was not familiar with.  I've never downloaded anything yet, so maybe it's time.

Keep sharing!  I especially like your vintage presentation.
Bill G

feher

Hi Bill,
Man your model looks sweet as candy my friend. Thanks for sharing.
Any way I could get my hands on it and have a go at it.
I want to do one that has been weathered like you did. Wright Bros would be my first choice.
Thanks again for stopping by and sharing. I love it.
Tim

guest84672

Awesome work from all of you guys.

Speedster

Hey, don't blame us, Thomas- it's all KeyShot's fault!
Bill G

guest84672

No no ... we just sell a paint brush. That alone doesn't make you an artist (famous Jeff Hayden quote).

It really helps that you guys are good ;-)

Can you tell the community how long it took to render the image - meaning import, paint, texture, light and the render. This would be great to know.

And then imagine this animated ... (dancing)

Speedster

OK, speaking for myself, and my Whirlwind project, of which I sell large gallery giclee prints, which was the purpose anyway.  The SolidWorks model and research about 350 hours (!).  I already had experience with KeyShot (and "oldShot"), but as I remember, this was the first version that simplified the use of custom textures based on jpeg's and tiff's, so we were all excited by the possibilities. And the radial was my first really hard-core rendering project using an advanced workflow and toolbox.

So, import, setup, paint, texture, light and render probably 8-10 hours total.  Bear in mind that I had to practice the new texturing capabilities, create the jpeg's for the rust and steel (using FilterForge) and create the lighting using (at that time) HDR LightStudio Basic.  I use Pro now.

The real issue is that it was fun and a welcomed change from my usual medical device design work.  It's been well received as prints and drawings, as well as on TurboSquid.  Speaking of which, it's interesting to compare the renderings on TurboSquid by the various artists.  You can sure tell which are KeyShots!

As to animation?  Man, I can hardly wait!  Not as much for the Whirlwind, which is an "empty" model, but for many of my other projects in Industrial Archeology.  Getting closer everyday to my dream of a Virtual Museum of Technology!

I think Tim will agree, and I'm looking forward to his answer as to time, etc.

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

guest84672

Very cool - thanks so much for the detailed information, Bill. Our community will certainly appreciate it.

Animation is looking good ... Tim got a glimpse of it already ;-)

feher

First let me say I can't wait for the animation. It looks solid. Look out.

I do not model so my time frame will be different. If it wasn't for you modelers I could never do this type of work. Thank You.

From start to finish this project took me less than 3hr hours. I only rendered it at 1920x1080.
Tim

guest84672

Excellent - thanks Tim!