Fruitshake Icecream

Started by zooropa, February 22, 2018, 01:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

Hi. I am working with several projects regarding ice cream. The project that concerns me know is about creating a fruitshake lollipop. Please find the image of different references here:

Of course not all the images look exactly the same ice cream, but just to give an insight of what I would like to achieve. Maybe the one on the upper right is too "neat" and I would like to present something a little bit imperfect.

The scene is also uploaded in this topic. The shape of ice cream I am using its to perfect too and thats not helping.
But before sculpting and deforming I would like to achieve the material a little bit closer to the reference images.

I am planning also to add the seeds in the model to give more realism to the proposal.

What I would like to know as a starting point is which material type to use.
I tried advance and translucent advance, they use different parameters and give me slightly different result with the basic color. The thing is I want to know which one will be proper to start to build the material. Last time I created one material and got so far that when I wanted to switch to translucent.....It was too different from the one I did in advance.

So maybe its smarter to understand which should be the material type at the beginning, before making my material graph crazy. Is " advance " covering all the other materials parameters ? Can I achieve exactly what translucent advance give me with advance material  ?

Then I get kind of two situations happening. I have a inner quality and an outer one in my ice cream. I do not have one in my hand but by the pictures it seems there is a interior roughness coming from the mixed fruit and then a little bit sharper skin material coming from the mold of the ice cream. That is the reason why I thought maybe advance its little bit more accurate for this situation since I can manage the roughness transmission.
At the same time the skin of the ice cream has different roughness too, where the ice is cold and where it is a little bit more melted.

On top of that I have Icy edges on the geometry...which I believe I will do it with  a curvature node driving the opacity of my ICE material. ( I used this technique to get my baked cookie for another sandwich and worked).

Then I have also the Subsurface scattering changing randomly depending on how close is the mixed fruit to the skin of the material.

I hope not over explain...but its looks like a type of material with a lot of complexity. It might also that I am thinking it too complicated too.
I was thinking that would be nice to have a tutorial focused on non products. I am industrial designer and I am quite pleased with KS which seems the most suitable render software for product design. I am working at this moment in a place which is not product related so they are constantly asking me for "food" . They do not expect too much honestly, but I do. I want to get a permanent position here :) so I use in between time projects to refine renders and show them that something better of what they have is possible .

Thanks so much forum.

Chad Holton

Try the velvet material too. It may give you that frosty edge look.

Will Gibbons

I'll second Chad's suggestion. Velvet should get you pretty close. And yes, I'd test it on simple geometry before over-complicating things first.