Keyshot 7 Video label map question

Started by jet1990, March 02, 2018, 04:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jet1990

Hi all,

I've been playing around with keyshots 7 and I'm loving it so far - especially the video label option.

my question is - If i had a video that had elements of transparency (think of a PNG without a background but as a video) , could i apply that to a glass panel and animate it or would it fill the background in with a colour?

thanks

Will Gibbons

Quote from: jet1990 on March 02, 2018, 04:07:28 AM
Hi all,

I've been playing around with keyshots 7 and I'm loving it so far - especially the video label option.

my question is - If i had a video that had elements of transparency (think of a PNG without a background but as a video) , could i apply that to a glass panel and animate it or would it fill the background in with a colour?

thanks

What video format do you have that supports transparency? As far as I'm aware there isn't one. That said, you can load an image sequence (say .png) with transparent backgrounds and they should behave as you wish.

mattjgerard

Wills suggestion would work the best, as the formats that support transparency are kinda specialized and require codec packs installed. Off the top of my head those that would work would be Animation, ProRes4444+, DNXHD+, GoPro Cineform, and others that are basically images sequences packed with in a video file wrapper.

Robb63

There is some format I've had to export for our Creative team that does include alpha channels, so that you can get a transparency in a video to overlay it.
It may be a mov (or mp4) format, that seems to be what they request most often. Somewhere inside the color settings for that file type (in After Effects) there is a pull down that tells the video format to include alpha.

Sorry I can't remember the specifics, but I'm not in my office at the moment.

mattjgerard

Its most likely a .mov file, that's an Apple format, and most likely an Animation file or some flavor of ProRes. MP4's don't support alphas as far as I know, but I'm not in neck deep in the video world anymore.

INNEO_MWo

I did some quick test.

First I created an animation with png frames and "alpha channel"
You'll find the test scene attached as "1 - INNEO Example - KeyShot 7.2 - create video with alpha channel.bip"

As second step I used the frames as video map and combined it with two nodes in the material graph to use the blue color of the spinning donut to the opacity channel with a color correction node.

See the details in the attached scenes.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco