VR settings for Cellphone headsets HELP!!

Started by SpaceMonkey, March 06, 2018, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceMonkey

HELP!
Hiya all.
I'm trying to render out in VR.

I'm using the merge 360 headset with an iPhone.

My images don't come out as two images side by side but rather split down the middle and pasted as far apart as imaginable flipped in the horizontal direction. (See attached.) 

I've read through the manual as well as the forum. There aren't really videos about the functions in VR yet.

I've tried the spherical and cube modes. I've tried making it 3D with the stereo toggle.  I fussed around with the pole merging angle but no help. I've tried side by side and over under?  I've also attached a screenshot of my settings.

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong? 

I have keyshot 7.2.135 pro. Mac book pro. 

O one more thing my preview map goes black when I go out of spherical mode.

thank you!!

theAVator

What's the end goal you're trying to achieve?
Is it to have the space out in front of you rotating, or do you want to be positioned in the middle and have the space rotate around you like you're in the room looking around?

SpaceMonkey

Hi There.

I would love to be able to know how to do either one.

But what I was aiming for is to be positioned in the room and have the space rotate around me like I'm in the room looking around. Although a 180° would work most of the time.   

theAVator

Are the images you posted actual renders or just screenshots of the preview window?
And to add to that, have you actually rendered any of these with the various settings, or are you just going by the preview window before taking up the time to go through the rendering process?

I only ask as I noticed when doing a stereoscopic animation, it would never actually show the 2-up/side-by-side view until it actually rendered. The preview window always showed 1 instance of the model centered in the panoramic viewport. So what was previewed never actually matched what was supposed to be output.

So, if you haven't rendered anything fully yet, maybe try and see what the outcome is. Otherwise, it may be a longer explanation from someone more experienced than I.

SpaceMonkey

No, unfortunately  :'(, these are the actual renders.

In fact, the preview window only lets me see the spherical model.

But all of the images posted are from actual full renders.
Except for the screenshot of my keyshot camera settings.  :-\

Surely it shouldnt be rendering out split in two, horizontal plane reversed?

INNEO_MWo

Hi.
Set the camera to cube map and stereoscopic to side-by-side and render an image of 2000px height (and 24000px width).

The spherical map is for 360 Video without stereoscopic settings.

That's all

Cheers
Marco

SpaceMonkey

Hi Marco

I have tried and tried and am not getting the correct results.

The images preset wont allow me to do 2400 px width x 2000 height!

When I put it onto Panoramic mode the output image sizes is automatically locked to a predefined ratio.  (If I don't put my camera on panoramic mode then I don't get any of the VR options!)

So if I put 2400 px width, the height is automatically predefined as 200 px only.   

So please see my render attached. Its 2400px  X  200 px

Is there any specific app that one should use as a viewer? I've tried VR station for iphone.

Why does the photo get so chopped up?

Thanks for the help. I'm in Vancouver so I'm about 10 Hours behind you, which explains my slow response time.

INNEO_MWo

Attached you`ll find an example with saved cameras for VR video files and seated VR (still images). As well the results.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

PS: Sorry for the short form

SpaceMonkey

WOW thats big 24000 x 2000 !!!!! I missed a 0!!!!

I will render it out on an external machine!

How do you view it? Any specific app needed on the phone?

INNEO_MWo

There are several applications that will show a stereoscopic cube map image. On Android I used sView or Fulldive or Scope (cloud solution).

A resolution of 12000 by 1000 will do also the job, too. If your device screen isn't that high defined.

Cheers
Marco

SpaceMonkey

wow got it to work!!

Thanks,  Marco you are fantastic.   ;D

Mario Stockinger

I render Images in Panorama Mode and use krpano to split and calculate the sphere render images.
you can then upload the project to a webserver and watch it on any device and switch to webvr for vive, rift, MS mixedvr (we use MS mixedvr)

It has als a plugin to to a split view so you can use carboard , daydream, samsung gear vr ect....
We have an exibition in germay next week and our customers can test the result with a Mixed VR from Acer and with mobile devices.