Web Color Management Fix

Started by Furniture_Guy, March 06, 2018, 11:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furniture_Guy

I'm putting this out here to save anyone else all the time I had to invest to discover the fix. Most of you probably already know this but it was news to me.

All of my images out of KeyShot (sRGB profile) were darker and desaturated when viewed in Chrome (our browser of choice) in Windows 7 or 10. Firefox was fine and both Chrome and Firefox on the Mac were fine. After much digging I finally found the solution:

In the Chrome address bar type: chrome://flags
Find "Force color profile". Select sRGB from the dropdown
Restart browser

Now all my KeyShot rendered Web images (.png) are very close to the KeyShot Realtime window view.

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

INNEO_MWo

Thank you for the hint.

Cheers
Marco

Will Gibbons

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

DMerz III

Hmm. interesting find...makes me wonder what Chrome uses by default? Color management is such a pain because you can't possibly solve for every scenario (plus every screen is different). 10 years from now, I wonder if this will be solved somehow.

edit; looks like it uses whatever is setup through your OS. 

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: DMerz III on March 07, 2018, 12:58:27 PM
Hmm. interesting find...makes me wonder what Chrome uses by default? Color management is such a pain because you can't possibly solve for every scenario (plus every screen is different). 10 years from now, I wonder if this will be solved somehow.

edit; looks like it uses whatever is setup through your OS.

Yes, in my case Chrome was using my default color profile for Windows 10 (BenQ SW2700PT Color Profile, D6500) and not reading the imbedded profile in the file, sRGB in the case of all KeyShot rendered images.

Perry (Furniture_Guy)