Andersen EV - Continued work

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, March 07, 2018, 04:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on March 15, 2018, 08:20:07 AM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 15, 2018, 05:04:41 AM
Did you do anything specific to keep the UV-mapping when baking the displacement map in blender?
Or what was the process for the displaced geometry?
Hope it helps :)

Thanks for the explanation, Magnus. Homemade is good. I do a lot of homemade stuff I guess.
As you might know, I'm using Modo and wondered if blender did a smarter job about this. Not sure.
I think I did it with Modo for the trunk in the beetle rendering without any additional UV-magic, but I just can't make it work again. I'm starting to doubt that I manage to do it back then. Haha.

Anyway, again, thanks for taking time to describe your process. I'll try to replicate it in Modo and see if that works.

Cheers,

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 15, 2018, 10:55:33 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Magnus. Homemade is good. I do a lot of homemade stuff I guess.
As you might know, I'm using Modo and wondered if blender did a smarter job about this. Not sure.
I think I did it with Modo for the trunk in the beetle rendering without any additional UV-magic, but I just can't make it work again. I'm starting to doubt that I manage to do it back then. Haha.

Anyway, again, thanks for taking time to describe your process. I'll try to replicate it in Modo and see if that works.
Smart UV unwrap is for the lazy non-experienced guys like me anyway. A more experienced artist would probably never touch it. But it works fine for these simple planar stuff I'm doing here. Probably also for other simpler geometry!

You're welcome:)

Greg Polymerou

I love the brake lights. The render gives depth in their structure. What technique did you use there? Can you share tips about the brake lights?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Greg Polymerou on March 17, 2018, 07:02:25 AM
I love the brake lights. The render gives depth in their structure. What technique did you use there? Can you share tips about the brake lights?
Hey, I'm sorry for the delayed response to this. Hectic times. Anyway, the technique for this guy wasn't very complicated, so I'm not sure I will enlighten you that much, but it's simply a refractive glass material on top of a glossy metal combined with a strong light source that gives the red glow. I also put some photoshop dodges into these light sources to emphasize them a little. I'm attaching a screenshot of the setup in case you want to see that :)

Just ask if something is unclear, and I'll try to be more quickly responsive the next time. And thanks for your kind words!