Andersen EV - Continued work

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, March 07, 2018, 04:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some work for Andersen EV and their automotive charge point this last year. (Here is the older thread if anyone is interested)

Here's some of the latest work. All full CGI. House and plants from evermotion, Porsche from turbosquid. Cable and Porsche socket modeled in NX.

The wall shots are my first effort using displacement maps from blender. Not the most complicated effort in displacing geometry, but it's a decent first try in my opinion.

Cheers,

mattjgerard

That looks really really good, as usual!

Is it just me, but the first thought out of my brain was "Feel sorry for the poor fool that has to clean that window!". I wonder if poliigon has a surface imperfections map that has a combo of toddler nose and finger smudges about 2' off the ground? Maybe a dog nose squish mark ever so often?

Seriously, that rock wall is astounding.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: mattjgerard on March 07, 2018, 06:38:09 AM
That looks really really good, as usual!

Is it just me, but the first thought out of my brain was "Feel sorry for the poor fool that has to clean that window!". I wonder if poliigon has a surface imperfections map that has a combo of toddler nose and finger smudges about 2' off the ground? Maybe a dog nose squish mark ever so often?

Seriously, that rock wall is astounding.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate it.

Hah, yes, it's always a bit of an internal struggle of just how much grunge one should add to these kinda renders. Given it was a desire to show a luxury style, I guess smudges would have to be kept at a minimum. I have, however, added a bit of smudge and dust to the porch glass in case you missed it:)

Will Gibbons

Beautiful Magnus. Nothing to say but props!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 07, 2018, 11:14:00 AM
Beautiful Magnus. Nothing to say but props!
Thank you for your ever encouraging words Will! It's greatly appreciated!

Esben Oxholm

Stunning work, Magnus! It ended out really good!

kiarash.tamizkar

Josh3D

So good. Love seeing the clay render and details too. Well done, Magnus!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 08, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
Stunning work, Magnus! It ended out really good!
Thank you Esben! I'm glad you think so.

Quote from: kiarash.tamizkar on March 08, 2018, 11:29:40 PM
8) welldone
Thank you!:)

Quote from: Josh Mings on March 09, 2018, 10:39:16 AM
So good. Love seeing the clay render and details too. Well done, Magnus!
Thank you Josh! I always welcome your encouragement :)

stefan marji

all compliments !
... where did you got that flowers and grass ?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: stefan marji on March 09, 2018, 09:20:47 PM
all compliments !
... where did you got that flowers and grass ?
Thank you! Appreciate it. Plants, flowers and grass are bought from Evermotion. They have a nice packages with this kinda stuff :)

Robb63

Looks fantastic. What material did you use for the "Clay" version, especially on the Porsche?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Robb63 on March 12, 2018, 07:15:29 AM
Looks fantastic. What material did you use for the "Clay" version, especially on the Porsche?
Thank you man. Appreciate that! It's a very basic diffuse white material. No complexity at all!

Esben Oxholm

Hi Magnus.
A question!

Did you do anything specific to keep the UV-mapping when baking the displacement map in blender?
Or what was the process for the displaced geometry?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 15, 2018, 05:04:41 AM
Did you do anything specific to keep the UV-mapping when baking the displacement map in blender?
Or what was the process for the displaced geometry?
Hi Esben.

Yeah i struggled a bit with that, as i didn't know it had to unwrap out the UV map after adding the displacement modifiers to include it in an export. It's a very homemade process I'm about to present, so there might be other smarter "Blenders" who can enhance the process.

Anyway, bear with me and check pictures 1,2 and 3  below for reference:

1. After adding the modifiers (displacement textures and subdivisions), go to edit mode and use the 'A' key to select all vertices. Proceed by pressing the 'U' key to get the Smart UV Project dialogue. Here i just click through the default settings.

2. Export as obj and check "include UVs"

3. Import to KeyShot and add the textures. For some reason I have to rotate the UV angle -90 degrees to get it correctly, but that's just my lack of understanding UV's I guess. I also sometimes like to repeat the textures twice in Blender to get a bigger 3D canvas to work within, which means that my mesh consists of 2x2 the chosen texture. That's the reason why I've reduced the UV scale to 0,25 in KeyShot.

Hope it helps :)