How do i add a Clear Coat to my Material?

Started by KRS, March 07, 2018, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRS

I have a nice wood material that i downloaded from Polligan and i would like it to have a nice reflective quality like a polyurethane.  I have been searching for ways to add this clear coat but I've come up empty.  I know this is probably something simple but i just can't figure it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

KRS

I am trying to achieve this look.

DMerz III

Wood looks great, but you might want to change your shader type from Advanced to Metallic Paint if you want to have a 'clear coat' option. You might have to play with the 'metal coverage' slider a little bit (probably turn it all the way down) to avoid it taking on metallic properties.

The other approach would be to adjust the contrast/brightness of your roughness map. Right now your map is making the surface of the wood fairly dull (high values = dull). You should use a Color to Number node to tweak the values of the map. Darker areas will be 'glossy'.

Hope that helps.

-David

KRS

Thanks David!  The Color to Number node helped out a lot.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

INNEO_MWo

I played with the advanced material, as well with the metallic paint and anisotropic as well. IMHO the anisotropic is my favorite for this solution.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

KRS

DMerz III

:) wow that looks wonderful Marco. I am a big fan of the anisotropic shader as well, I never thought of using it here in this case. That wood looks darn gorgeous.

KRS, I'm glad the roughness channel + color to number was giving you favorable results! Thanks for coming back to share with us!

KRS

Im figuring this out!  The Anisotropic material seems to be the trick.

Will Gibbons

I like finding unconventional solutions to challenges, but I'm not sure I'd use the anisotropic material. I'd opt for metallic paint as mentioned, or even plastic.

I've shared how to create this (See some image examples below) on my render thread here: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12600.50

Also, I'll call out the elephant in the room, and it looks like you need to use an environment with more contrast. That's going to make a world of differences and probably entirely change the look of your material and make it far easier to create the look you want.

INNEO_MWo

What does it mean 'call the elephant in the room'?

Just look to an oiled natural wood surface and you'll recognize anisotropic reflections.

But just define this with plastic transparent with black color in the transmission. Render another part with advanced material and metallic paint with a high roughness value in the base color and a bump texture. Activate fresnel if possible.
Render all samples and compare them.

And please share your experience results.

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on March 30, 2018, 12:12:04 PM
What does it mean 'call the elephant in the room'?

A term meaning the bigger problem that is being ignored or not being talked about.

INNEO_MWo

Will Gibbons

Just look to an oiled natural wood surface and you'll recognize anisotropic reflections.

Yes, wood, does certainly show anisotropy. I just find that KeyShot's Anisotropic material might be difficult to get the appearance of wood as the OP is after. Not saying you are wrong at all! Just sharing what I used to get this effect of a lacquered wood. :)

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 02, 2018, 08:16:04 AM

Yes, wood, does certainly show anisotropy. I just find that KeyShot's Anisotropic material might be difficult to get the appearance of wood as the OP is after. Not saying you are wrong at all! Just sharing what I used to get this effect of a lacquered wood. :)

Yes Will, you're right.
Most time when I need wood for furniture or floor, I would use advanced for wood.

It is very interesting how FPS changes when you need roughness in several scenes.

Cheers
Marco