Got my RenderWorld Tix!

Started by mattjgerard, March 13, 2018, 02:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

So, looking for tips, will be staying in the hotel there, so won't have to travel to get there. Will be flying out early to spend a few days at an AirBnB on Cabrillo beach in LA for a couple days before hand for our anniversary. First vaca without the kiddos in a long time!

But, while at the conference, I'm just looking for things to be aware of that I can prepare for beforehand to make the most of my time there. Do I bring specific questions and situations that I run into? Is there time for one on one Q/A sessions? Should I bring scenes to show examples of questions?

My co-worker went last year, and while I think it was useful for her, she had just started using Keyshot, so it was more of a "don't know what you don't know" sort of situation. Now we have a solid year under our belts, got our network renderer up and running (and getting a pimped out HP Z8  on its way!) and have our materials library pretty much sorted.

I'm really looking forward to the techniques I'm going to learn about. lighting and texturing specifically. Really want to push our images into the realistic world, and while 90% of them are just products on white, the more realistic the better. Keyshot has already surpassed what we used to use (before I started here) in terms of speed of image production and resources that the ball is rolling to keep getting better.

Can't wait!

Esben Oxholm

Hi Matt.
Looking forward to meet you there!  8)

From last years experience I would say that in the workshops there is time for individual questions in the end, but showing your scene and everything is probably not going to work. However, between the workshops and presentations, during lunch and in the afternoon/evening there is plenty of time to hunt down specific people and ask if they want to give a few tips on a specific scene.

Other people might have a different experience.
Cheers,

DriesV

See you there, Matt!  :)

As Esben mentions, there usually is ample opportunity between sessions to talk to people about specific issues or topics.

Dries

Speedster

Unfortunately, Geri and I can't make it this year, but last year was great!  Networking is the biggest advantage, you'll meet many of the Forum members from around the world, and many tips and tricks to share.  The workshops are very helpful and fast paced.  Some of the user presentations will be very interesting, others maybe less so.

The hotel is fantastic! 

Next door (like 100 feet!) is the Pacific Center, an exciting shopping mall with many interesting shops.

Two restaurants in the mall stand out, as the hotel is quite expensive.  "Earthbar", downstairs on the hotel corner, is a great seafood pub.  "Ola Mexican Kitchen" on the second floor is world class but reasonable.  We ate there several times!

Best of all, the entire experience can be very relaxing and informative at the same time!

Enjoy, and I wish we could join you!

Bill G

mattjgerard

Thanks for the food suggestions Bill, I can get on board with some good mexican food. Seafood, not so much :)

I've already got my breakout sessions picked out, so I'm able to hit all the ones I want to. I need to pull as much info out of this event not just for myself, but to assure the bean counters it was worth it. They do push for at least 1 hour of self guided training each week already, but to shell out the money for this is a bigger thing for them.

Speedster

Couple more observations...

Since last year was the first RenderWorld, we all came armed for bear!  Laptop, notebooks, pencils and pens, the whole drill.  I gave up trying to take notes after the first breakout session, and just sat back, enjoyed, and let all the info sort of flow over and through me.  I realized I didn't need to write it all down. I've been a KeyShooter since 2008, so I know the drill.  Just listen and ask questions.  Made life a whole lot easier and enjoyable!

There will be some beginners, but most of the attendees will be skilled professional users at many levels of expertise.  The networking is amazing, as we all speak KeyShot regardless of our native language.

The vendor exhibit is a must, with all the latest and greatest on display and knowledgeable folks to answer questions. 

As to the bean counters...  I find the main takeaway from RenderWorld, kinda like SIGGRAPH, is that you leave with your batteries recharged, and ready to roll when you get back to work.  Modern bean counters understand the value of having happy and productive campers and KeyShooters around!  The ROI on RenderWorld is very easy to justify!

My wife Geri is our CFO and "Senior Bean Counter".  After three days of basking on the beach in her bikini, enjoying the spa and hot tub, and of course shopping (we took an empty suitcase!) she was a very happy bean counter!

Note that the beach at this time of the year can often be overcast and gloomy, but sunscreen is still a must!

And hey, Matt- Happy Anniversary!  Just had our 48th, 45 of which we've been in business together!  Helps to be friends first!

Bill G

mattjgerard

Thanks everyone for the tips. Everything is all set and booked for the pre-Renderworld vacation and for the conference itself. I'm a big proponent of networking, in my past life in the video production biz for 18 years I don't think I ever got a job because of a resume or job application. My reel and the people at the previous jobs I worked spoke loudest to those looking to book my services. Being both freelance and employed at small production companies (under 5 people) all my life has given me the appreciation and habits of see every person you meet as a potential client or employer.

Counting the days....

DMerz III

mattjgerard

Quote from: DMerz III on March 22, 2018, 02:06:33 PM
See you there!  :)

Excellent! Will be nice to put a real face to many names.

Will Gibbons

+1 To everyone else's comments. I love what Bill said about giving up on note taking and just enjoying it and being engaged. That's where it's at. Cheers.

mpraska

Quote from: mattjgerard on March 13, 2018, 02:09:09 PM
But, while at the conference, I'm just looking for things to be aware of that I can prepare for beforehand to make the most of my time there. Do I bring specific questions and situations that I run into? Is there time for one on one Q/A sessions? Should I bring scenes to show examples of questions?

I was wondering the same thing, glad I found this thread! I've only been using KeyShot for about 8 months now and still feel like a newbie... I hope to come away from RenderWorld with a greater understanding of what I can accomplish with KeyShot and how to achieve those levels.

Will Gibbons

To anyone attending, feel free to bring problematic scenes (KSP format) to the conference on USB storage and time-permitting, you should be able to find someone who can take a look at it.