Need an animation with Alpha clear background

Started by BillyBoyce, March 28, 2018, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyBoyce

How do I get my animation to have a alpha clear background? I see the frames have an alpha clear but not the video any help would be awesome.

INNEO_MWo

It depends on the output format. The quicktime version (.mov) should provide alpha channel.
Otherwise you can render the frames and merge them in post (with after effects or hitfilm or another video tool).

First attachment is the output of KeyShot.
Second file (mpeg) was made in a video tool (camtasia in this case) with a still image in the background and the mov file overlay.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco
(sorry for the short form)

BillyBoyce

Thanks you for your reply.
I can not figure out how to get a video with alpha clear out of keyshot. The only thing I can do is get the still images with the alpha clear. Could you please elaborate a little more on settings on how to accomplish the alpha cleared video directly out of Keyshot?

Will Gibbons

There is no video format with alpha transparency out of KeyShot.

Alternatively, you can output frames in PNG format with alpha and then compile them into a video editing program in which their transparency will be preserved.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 30, 2018, 09:27:29 AM
There is no video format with alpha transparency out of KeyShot.

Alternatively, you can output frames in PNG format with alpha and then compile them into a video editing program in which their transparency will be preserved.

I've imported my attached mov file into Camtasia Studio and got the alpha channel work without any extra work.

I just rendered the .mov file with frames as png alpha enabled.
(I have to re-create the scene, 'cause doesn't save it.)

Send me a PM as reminder if you still need an example. And I try to upload one after this Easter weekend.

Cheers
Marco
(written on a mobile)

mattjgerard

Did you create the movie from the rendered PNG stills? I can't seem to get to any settings for the video codecs that would be the place to enable or see if it supports an alpha? Not even sure what codec KS is using for the Quicktime video it would render. Maybe it uses the still image setting of jpg or png etc?

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: mattjgerard on March 30, 2018, 01:35:31 PM
Did you create the movie from the rendered PNG stills? I can't seem to get to any settings for the video codecs that would be the place to enable or see if it supports an alpha? Not even sure what codec KS is using for the Quicktime video it would render. Maybe it uses the still image setting of jpg or png etc?

Just set the QuickTime format as output video file. And if you bring this into a video edit tool, you'll see the transparent background. I think no video player is capable to show alpha channels.

But render the frames without the video file and merge them into a video tool, you'll be more flexible. Cause you can combine the with the amount of passes.

mattjgerard

I'll have to look and see what codec the video file is in. Most likely its simply using a png codec to preserve the alpha. Not friendly for real time playback in a video editor but fantastic for use in After Effects or other compositing software. Good to know!

BillyBoyce

Thanks everyone! I ended up using the Alpha PNGs Frames in After Effects CC to get what I needed. Once you figure out how to do it in AEcc its super fast.

mattjgerard

Exactly the way I do it, it works fantastically. Then, if you are working in premiere you have the option of importing the AE Comp as an asset and edit that into the timeline. Then if you have to re-render some of the animation to fix or change something, just replace the frames in the folder, and the changes will propagate all the way to your premiere timeline because it is referencing all the way back to the frames in the folder.

I think you can import frame stacks into Premiere as well. They don't edit well in real time usually, but at 1/4 or 1/2 res playback they should playback in realtime.

Sfranks

Make the background bright green and key it out.

TGS808

Quote from: Sfranks on September 05, 2018, 11:40:58 AM
Make the background bright green and key it out.

Not necessary if you can render with no background at all. And you can. Marco is right. The .mov format will render animation with an transparent alpha. And you can always put individual PNG frames with transparent backgrounds together in AE or Photoshop  and output them to video. Doing it greenscreen style would kind of be a step backwards. Plus you're likely to get green fringing on the edges if you do it that way.