Creating Materials thumbnail ?

Started by zooropa, March 30, 2018, 07:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

HI I am creating materials from scratch. Is it possible to retain the material as shown in the thumbnail from the material tab (right side)

Will Gibbons

Once you save it to your library, it should update.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: zooropa on March 30, 2018, 07:59:53 AM
HI I am creating materials from scratch. Is it possible to retain the material as shown in the thumbnail from the material tab (right side)

You can use the material 2K.hdr environment for your scene. You'll find it in the installation path .\bin folder. For detailed information just open the keyshot_library_geometry_no_ground.bip

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 30, 2018, 09:11:08 AM

Hi Will! If you check the material is in the library (left side) and does not look like the right side.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: zooropa on March 30, 2018, 12:34:59 PM

Hi Will! If you check the material is in the library (left side) and does not look like the right side.

Check the bip files in the installation folder. You can manipulate them and change the geometry in the scene.
But don't forget to save a copy of your customized files to keep them after an update installation.

Will Gibbons

As Marco pointed out, there's a different scene that's rendering out those thumbnails. It's using different lighting and therefore they don't appear to match. Your In-Scene material thumbnails will show the appearance of the material in your current lighting scenario. You can right-click on the thumbnail to re-render.

As an example, I took a yellow plastic material, changed my HDRI to be very blue (to affect the color of the yellow paint) and saved it to my library. You can see the thumbnail on the left looks bright yellow (because it's rendered in a different scene to ensure consistency) and the in-scene materials will match the lighting of my current active HDRI. Hope that clears it up.

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 02, 2018, 08:09:03 AM

As Marco pointed out, there's a different scene that's rendering out those thumbnails. It's using different lighting and therefore they don't appear to match. Your In-Scene material thumbnails will show the appearance of the material in your current lighting scenario. You can right-click on the thumbnail to re-render.

As an example, I took a yellow plastic material, changed my HDRI to be very blue (to affect the color of the yellow paint) and saved it to my library. You can see the thumbnail on the left looks bright yellow (because it's rendered in a different scene to ensure consistency) and the in-scene materials will match the lighting of my current active HDRI. Hope that clears it up.

Thanks to everybody. Thought wass a little bit less tricky . I think I prefer not to mess with my bip files and just love the material as KS shows it .

INNEO_MWo

zooropa

DriesV

Marco,

That gummy bear is really cool. 8)
Just changed it on my own installation as well!

Dries

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on April 03, 2018, 03:49:29 AM
It looks funny if you change the model. (https://3dsky.org/3dmodels/show/gummy_bear)

As a lighting study, its actually a pretty good model! Plus it made me smile this morning, which I needed as another 6" of snow is falling today.

Will Gibbons