Material already exists ?

Started by zooropa, March 30, 2018, 08:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

I am not sure why KS says "material already exist" when I want to name my material...It does not exist I checked it.

Will Gibbons

I suspect there is one in your KS library with that name even if you haven't found it. This is how it's worked for me.

Furniture_Guy

I have found that even if you name a material and then delete it, you can't give a new material the same name as the deleted one. KeyShot retains the material name in the file even if deleted...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

zooropa

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on March 30, 2018, 09:49:04 AM
I have found that even if you name a material and then delete it, you can't give a new material the same name as the deleted one. KeyShot retains the material name in the file even if deleted...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

I think this is what is happening

Will Gibbons

Quote from: zooropa on March 30, 2018, 12:33:59 PM

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Ah! I have run into that before. I thought that was fixed. Not an ideal solution, but re-launching KS should fix that.

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 02, 2018, 08:10:50 AM
Quote from: zooropa on March 30, 2018, 12:33:59 PM

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Ah! I have run into that before. I thought that was fixed. Not an ideal solution, but re-launching KS should fix that.

Maybe a bug that could be fixed for the next version  ?

monson67

I get this often. Rather irritating. It would be nice if KeyShot gave you the option to overwrite the (sometimes phantom) material.

Note: I've noticed that it does give you the overwrite option, but only if it's not another instance of said material (e.g. Aluminum Polished vs. Aluminum Polished #2). So if you edit Aluminum Polished #2, and try to rename it to Aluminum Polished to overwrite the original, KeyShot won't let you, even if there are no longer any original Aluminum Polished materials applied to any objects.