Downward facing surfaces stay black

Started by RRIS, April 11, 2018, 02:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRIS

I've noticed this issue since forever on Keyshot and never figured out how to fix it. Surfaces on my models that face downwards stay black, no matter if I elevate them, turn on global illumination, ground illumination and up the bounces. (very easily tested by adding a cube, moving it upwards and observing the bottom face staying black). It's especially noticeable on diffuse materials..

Anybody here figured out if this is a bug, or because of something I'm not understanding properly? Is there a workaround?

DriesV

This happens for Product Mode with Ground Shadows active in the Environment tab.
If you turn off Ground Shadows, then bottom-facing diffuse surfaces will receive lighting.

Dries

RRIS

Ahh, so then if I do want ground shadows, I need to add a proper plane and let that receive shadows like any other object?
The downside is that I'd have to render the same image twice if I need to drop them into a background where I want visible ground shadows..

DMerz III

I may be reading your post wrong, but if you use the 'ground material' shader on your plane it will still give you the transparent ground shadow you want.

I could be misunderstanding what you're looking for, perhaps some screenshots for clarity?