Largest image rendered?

Started by Eric Summers, April 12, 2018, 11:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Summers

So I just loaded a 126" X 126" render onto our render machine and was curious; what the largest render everyone else has done?

KeyShot crashed once already and it only got through one of 30 tiles (and it was all empty space  :-\). I'm sure this is probably pushing things to the limit so I hope it can make it!

Speedster

My largest was 12 foot x 8 foot, for a trade show booth backdrop panel.  They wanted it at 300 DPI.  Very expensive print!  Took two days and a night on 30 cores.

I remember a long time ago on the Forum, one of the members rendered 18-wheeler truck wraps!  But those are usually printed at 72 DPI.

Bill G

mattjgerard

Quote from: Speedster on April 12, 2018, 02:29:30 PM
My largest was 12 foot x 8 foot, for a trade show booth backdrop panel.  They wanted it at 300 DPI.  Very expensive print!  Took two days and a night on 30 cores.

I remember a long time ago on the Forum, one of the members rendered 18-wheeler truck wraps!  But those are usually printed at 72 DPI.

Bill G

Yeah, and for those they will render them out at smaller physical print size, but higher DPI then blow them up during the print process. Same number of pixels, but for some reason they always asked for the truck wraps and billboards to be delivered 1/4 scale 288dpi. We tested and was same file size, blah blah blah. Strange.

Furniture_Guy

Bill G

Yeah, this one was done at 72dpi also:

https://www.keyshot.com/c/virco/

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Eric Summers

Well, after crashing KeyShot four times I decided something had to change. I ended up doing a region render to drop the number of tiles from 30 down to 11. Luckily there was a lot of empty space I was able to get rid of with the region. I also used a simplified lighting setup and fewer samples.

Bill G

Wow Bill, that certainly is a large backdrop! I can see that being incredibly expensive to print!

Quote from: mattjgerard on April 13, 2018, 06:35:06 AM

Yeah, and for those they will render them out at smaller physical print size, but higher DPI then blow them up during the print process. Same number of pixels, but for some reason they always asked for the truck wraps and billboards to be delivered 1/4 scale 288dpi. We tested and was same file size, blah blah blah. Strange.

I still get confused going between digital and physical image size, I think having to scale it would make me completely lost haha ???

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on April 13, 2018, 07:06:13 AM

Yeah, this one was done at 72dpi also:

https://www.keyshot.com/c/virco/

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Thanks for sharing! It's always interesting to see interesting applications like this.

Will Gibbons

I think at Luxion, I've seen 16,000px wide on our network, but not sure how high we've tested.