Correct axises in animation! :)

Started by PeterSwift, April 12, 2018, 03:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterSwift

I would love if Keyshot could understand the geometry and create correct axisis when doing animations.  If course it's tricky to do in a complex 3D part, but even when I Model a simple cylinder in my software inside the part to use as reference, it still don't understand that the axis should go through the the cylinder.  (see photo) It puts the axis the same orientation on everything.

Otherwise it's impossible to make it rotate around a specific axis, and using the build in "add geometry / cylinder" is not exact, The axis work on that one but I cant place it in the center of my own cylinder with good precision.

It's a major issue

DriesV

This behavior depends on the modeling program that the model was built in.
What modeling tool are you using? Some applications (e.g. Rhino) only have a global coordinate system and don't support local origins for individual objects.

If you are using Rhino, then a workaround is to create a Block from your pivot reference object and move/snap that into place in the Rhino model before exporting to KeyShot. Blocks in Rhino keep the coordinate system as they are created.

Dries

PeterSwift

Quote from: DriesV on April 12, 2018, 04:04:09 AM
This behavior depends on the modeling program that the model was built in.
What modeling tool are you using? Some applications (e.g. Rhino) only have a global coordinate system and don't support local origins for individual objects.

If you are using Rhino, then a workaround is to create a Block from your pivot reference object and move/snap that into place in the Rhino model before exporting to KeyShot. Blocks in Rhino keep the coordinate system as they are created.

Dries

Good to know!  Never knew that. Maybe something that also should be built in, pop-up if it don't have any axis data from the 3D software.

Before Solidworks but nowdays fusion360. But sometimes in Rhino as wel.