Black glass

Started by FLORTM, April 13, 2018, 06:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLORTM

Hello,

I'm designing an animation of an industrial process. As you can see I'm using some blisters (for medicines) but the transparent material is always black. I've tried all transparent materials and it's always black inside (glass, glass solid, plastic cloudy and plastic transparent).

Settings:
Color: white
Refractive Index: 1,5
Refractive on
Global illumination on

Note: the top (ground) of the blister is a metal

mattjgerard

It looks like you might be in performance mode, or Basic under the lighting tab. Try to get out of performance mode if that is it, or change your Lighting mode to product. See if that helps.

FLORTM

You're right when I go to the product mode and make a render I get this picture below. But it took me 10 minutes to make this one and there are still a few black spots. I have 4 different animations for a total of 100 seconds so I was thinking to make all my animations in performance mode. Are there really no other options? I'm using a laptop :/ The product mode looks so good though.

mattjgerard

That is the give and take with this sort of thing. There are things to do to optimize scenes, geometry (don't render with nurbs on) lighting and stuff, but for the most part better image = longer render time.

I will use performance mode to set up my scene, get everything into place, do animations if I need to. Then I switch to product to do my texturing and lighting. I'll turn off most objects that aren't affecting the one I'm working on, so it will speed up the render in the live viewer. Also using the region render to focus in on certain areas help out a lot as well. Anything with transparency (especially overlapping transparency) will slow your render down. Hit the H key when in the live view window and pay attention to the FPS number, that is a measurement on how fast your scene will "res up" or increase in quality. If you are focusing on getting the blister plastic to look good, turn on the render region and move to the box to just the blister pack. Your FPS will go up, and the materials will resolve faster so you can know if what you are doing to the lighting/materials is what you will want in the final render.

Working on a laptop will be a tough one, but it can be done! If you are looking at long animations of tough renders with lots of transparency then you might want to look into submitting the job to a render farm for faster turnaround. The cost is pretty reasonable especially if you have paying clients and deadlines! There are a couple on the forums here, but check out-

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=14175.0

FLORTM

Quote from: mattjgerard on April 13, 2018, 10:04:46 AM
That is the give and take with this sort of thing. There are things to do to optimize scenes, geometry (don't render with nurbs on) lighting and stuff, but for the most part better image = longer render time.

I will use performance mode to set up my scene, get everything into place, do animations if I need to. Then I switch to product to do my texturing and lighting. I'll turn off most objects that aren't affecting the one I'm working on, so it will speed up the render in the live viewer. Also using the region render to focus in on certain areas help out a lot as well. Anything with transparency (especially overlapping transparency) will slow your render down. Hit the H key when in the live view window and pay attention to the FPS number, that is a measurement on how fast your scene will "res up" or increase in quality. If you are focusing on getting the blister plastic to look good, turn on the render region and move to the box to just the blister pack. Your FPS will go up, and the materials will resolve faster so you can know if what you are doing to the lighting/materials is what you will want in the final render.

Working on a laptop will be a tough one, but it can be done! If you are looking at long animations of tough renders with lots of transparency then you might want to look into submitting the job to a render farm for faster turnaround. The cost is pretty reasonable especially if you have paying clients and deadlines! There are a couple on the forums here, but check out-

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=14175.0

Thanks for the clear answer. It's a project for school so I just decided to render my animations without any special materials (only plastic and diffuse) and in performance mode. Even without special materials and product mode it takes ages. Because it's for school I don't want to use a render farm (prices are idd reasonable).

mattjgerard

One option is to do as you did, render the animation out quickly, but then render out several select stills to show the high quality. I do that often when getting projects approved before dedicating the time to a final render. That way they can see the movement as well as have no question about what the final render quality will look like.