No triangles defined

Started by Eric Summers, April 13, 2018, 03:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Summers

This is my first go at importing a .ABC file into KeyShot. The animation was created in 3DS Max by my coworker and exported as an alembic cache file.

When I try to import it into KeyShot, the Log Window pops up with "No triangles defined". But after the import dialog finishes, I see the geometry I expect and can even play the animation in the Geometry View. I'm just wondering what this error means because I'm having trouble with this file. I can't save the file as KeyShot crashes before it can save. It also crashes if I try to zoom out too fast. I'd like to hope that this error is the root of my problems with this animation, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Eric Summers

Alright, I believe I have discovered the cause of my problems.

This particular animation was rendered in Max previously; there were several parts that were created in Max and had a glowing/emissive texture applied to them. One of those parts did not show up in KS. In the geometry view it was just a red dot in the center of where it should have been. I deleted all of the parts that had these textures and now there are no problems with the scene. I can save it and play the animation without crashing. And when I open the scene I no longer get the "No triangles defined" error.

mattjgerard

That 3DSMAX rears it ugly head again! I am routinely opening and modifying old 3DS max files, and not being a solid MAX user, there are a lot of little things that have to be taken care of before I export either an FBX to go into Cinema 4d or or directly out to Keyshot.