Fully Transparent Material WITH Shadow?

Started by rouzbehali, April 15, 2018, 11:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rouzbehali

Hello Guys!
I'm trying to make a material that is fully transparent without losing its shadow. the reason I want this material is to render the shadow only without being masked but the object so I can have it in a separate layer in photoshop. I've achieved this by changing the material type to Glass (solid)but there are still black surfaces. I have no idea how to get rid of that. any advice on material or even a way to have the unmasked shadow? thanks!

This is the final result:

I didn't use any label or bump map for the material. The self-shadow is off.

This is the original geometry of the object.

UPDATE: I somehow fixed it by increasing the ray bounces from 16 to 64 and adding roughness of 0.3 to the material. I'm almost satisfied with the result but still can see the trace of the object. increasing the ray bounces and roughness doesn't work anymore. Any advice?

INNEO_MWo

Hi.

If you want to isolate a body shadow you can change the part material to emissive and uncheck visible to camera. So only the shadows stay noticeable on the ground.

This technique were posted several times in this forum.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

rouzbehali

Thanks Marco for your solution. it worked like a charm. Shall I remove the post?

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: rouzbehali on April 16, 2018, 12:06:05 AM
Shall I remove the post?
Hello rouzbehali.

Glad, that it works. Please, do not delete this post. To find a solution, if another user search for this.