Keyshot 7 messing up old scenes

Started by monitorhero, April 26, 2018, 08:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monitorhero

Hello guys,

I have an issue with Keyshot 7. I tried opening an old Scene and the lighting and material behaviour is so different between the two Versions.

How can it be that although using the same HDRI the new ks 7 Version totally lights the scene differently?

Just look at the mattress. In KS 7 the lighting is coming from the top while in KS 5 it is coming from the side.

Also the Toon Shader doesnt outline the individual elements anymore.

What is the reason for this behaviour? What exactly changed so that lighting behaves that differently between KS Versions?
I actually prefered the lighting of KS 5 and wish I could recreate it with the new Version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Could a moderator please move this to General Discussion? Thanks

INNEO_MWo

I guess you have to rotate the environment and change the lighting preset turning off the global illumination.

But if you try to combine a toon material with a realistic one (e.g. plastic or paint), you have to do it in post. The toon parameters changed a bit since KS5. But I am sure that you can render great results with 7!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

monitorhero

The GI is deactivated in both Scenes. Also the same Environment with the same Position shouldn't produce that much different results. After all I just opened an old KS 5 Scene in KS 7.

With the toon shader I will do it in post as you suggested. Thanks for the help so far.

monitorhero

Is there any official help or Explanation by the makers of Keyshot? Please?

INNEO_MWo

Hello.

The official explanation about toon material is described in the online manual: https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K7M/pages/37956535/Toon (if this was the intend of the question)

The changes since KS5 to KS7 are documented:
- KS6 https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K6M/overview
- KS7 https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K7M/pages/46235690/Feature+Highlights#FeatureHighlights-MaterialEnhancements

And there are several "toon topics" in this forum.

Everything else can be set on the wish list.

NM-92

Regarding the outlines. I think you have to unlink the materials. If you have the same material applied to several parts, it'll highlight the outlines of the whole group of objects. When you apply an individual material to each one of them (you can copy and paste the material unlinked) it'll highlight the contour of each model. Hope it helps !

monitorhero

Thank you for the help NM-92. I have to try that.

But the toon thing is the least important to me. I was asking about the different lighting of the same HDR. How that happens or how that is possible?

Its just the same scene, same settings etc.
Still in one pic  the light is on top of the mattress. in the other picture its coming from the side.

NM-92

Maybe there's something funky with the scale ? Check the units of the scene, and the scale of the environment, are they the same in both versions ? Is the same illumination method selected in both cases ?

monitorhero

Yes all the same. Same scaling etc. Its exactly the same. At least I couldn't find any differences going thouroughly through all the scene tabs and settings etc.
Are developers present in this forum?

NM-92

Yeah they are. You can send them both files via wetransfer and they'll check out what's happening. Unfortunately i do not have the link, so you'll have to wait for someone to pop up and send you instructions.

monitorhero

Thanks NM

@Keyshot Devs. Please hit me up. Thank you.