Architectural visualisation (exterior)

Started by MK-ID, April 30, 2018, 08:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK-ID

Hello everyone,

I created this render of a pool landscape and outdoor furnitures.
The CAD build-up of the entire scene was created with SOLIDWORKS and Rhinoceros, rendered in Keyshot with just a minimum of Photoshop editing. Curtains are transformed/bent in Rhinoceros - provided via flyingarchitecure.com - a big thanks.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Kindest Regards,

design and visualisations by
Markus Kurkowski

Josh3D

I love the scene. It just feels a bit flat dimensionally. I'd suggest watching your tangents (lines of one object running into lines of another object) and play with the lighting a little bit.

MK-ID

Quote from: Josh Mings on May 01, 2018, 12:26:24 PM
I love the scene. It just feels a bit flat dimensionally. I'd suggest watching your tangents (lines of one object running into lines of another object) and play with the lighting a little bit.
Hello Josh,
thank you for your kind words!
Do you mean to focus on the tangents to be "free" or to intentionally overlap objects which each other more?

NM-92

Quote from: MK-ID on May 02, 2018, 11:53:34 PM
Hello Josh,
Do you mean to focus on the tangents to be "free" or to intentionally overlap objects which each other more?

No, you should avoid them when you can. It makes you lose depth in the image. You can't have a sense of distance and space if a lot of objects overlap with each other. It's nothing terrible, just play with the camera angle and focal length to see if you can achieve it.

mattjgerard

I didn't understand what "tangents" were until i saw them in a car rendering webinar. Too many closely parallel lines converging at very shallow angles. If you look at the most obvious example of this in your image it would be (to me at least) the edges of the chair cushions that are nearly lined up with the edge of the pool. its hard to define where the cushions end and the pool edge begins, so it would be good to either make the color difference a bit more drastic or fiddle with the camera angle enough to spread those lines out a bit.

Your image has a lot of converging perspective lines, everything is lined up perfectly parallel or perpendicular to each other. It gives it a very perfect and "staged" appearance, but it does take a bit of the natural realism out of the image, at least for myself.

Anyway, the textuering and lighting looks great, its an example of a magazine cover image. If this was my house there would be half-inflated pool toys all over the place, a dog on the chair, wet towels hanging off everything and other various cruft stuffed underneath tables and chairs. Oh, and half finished lunch plates and cups on the tables.

MK-ID

To Josh, NM-92 and mattjgerard,

guys you actually helped me a lot! It's always a pleasure and curious at once to get new input and sights - especially having an eye for good images - even though I am working with Keyshot for a very long time by now.

@mattjgerard:
I laughed a lot about your last comment part, very good ideas, not to forget a swimming shark tail :D!
Thanks for your compliments! And yes it is intended to look staged.

Best regards!

Quote from: mattjgerard on May 03, 2018, 06:14:48 AM
I didn't understand what "tangents" were until i saw them in a car rendering webinar. Too many closely parallel lines converging at very shallow angles. If you look at the most obvious example of this in your image it would be (to me at least) the edges of the chair cushions that are nearly lined up with the edge of the pool. its hard to define where the cushions end and the pool edge begins, so it would be good to either make the color difference a bit more drastic or fiddle with the camera angle enough to spread those lines out a bit.

Your image has a lot of converging perspective lines, everything is lined up perfectly parallel or perpendicular to each other. It gives it a very perfect and "staged" appearance, but it does take a bit of the natural realism out of the image, at least for myself.

Anyway, the textuering and lighting looks great, its an example of a magazine cover image. If this was my house there would be half-inflated pool toys all over the place, a dog on the chair, wet towels hanging off everything and other various cruft stuffed underneath tables and chairs. Oh, and half finished lunch plates and cups on the tables.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: NM-92 on May 03, 2018, 04:17:11 AM
Quote from: MK-ID on May 02, 2018, 11:53:34 PM
Hello Josh,
No, you should avoid them when you can. It makes you lose depth in the image. You can't have a sense of distance and space if a lot of objects overlap with each other. It's nothing terrible, just play with the camera angle and focal length to see if you can achieve it.
Perhaps I got this wrong, but as I see it the problem occurs when lines from different objects is tangent to each other. Like the edges of the chair and pool edge in this shot. They should clearly overlap or clearly have free space between them. Both options makes the shapes of the different objects more easy to read. Having overlapping objects shouldn't diminish the sense of distance and space (I would rather say that it helps to give depth as it clearly shows which objects is in front of another).
I'm not saying that NN-M2 is wrong here, I just wanted to give a second opinion on how I see it :)
Cheers,

NM-92

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 04, 2018, 06:00:04 AM
Perhaps I got this wrong, but as I see it the problem occurs when lines from different objects is tangent to each other. Like the edges of the chair and pool edge in this shot. They should clearly overlap or clearly have free space between them. Both options makes the shapes of the different objects more easy to read. Having overlapping objects shouldn't diminish the sense of distance and space (I would rather say that it helps to give depth as it clearly shows which objects is in front of another).
I'm not saying that NN-M2 is wrong here, I just wanted to give a second opinion on how I see it :)
Cheers,

After reading my comment again, i realized i expressed myself incorrectly. Of course overlapping objects isn't wrong! I was referring to the cases in which the tangents of the objects were coincident, like Josh said "(lines of one object running into lines of another object)".

What i was trying to say was, avoid those cases either exaggerating the overlap or preventing it from happening at all.

Speedster

I like the look.

Tangent management can be tough with archectural rendering, as everything is so square and parallel. 

To me, the camera "eye" seems a bit low, like an old twin-lens reflex camera.  I think the tangent issues would go away if you just raise the camera a bit (slightly down eye-level angle), and create blood or space around the parts.

QuoteIf this was my house there would be half-inflated pool toys all over the place, a dog on the chair, wet towels hanging off everything and other various cruft stuffed underneath tables and chairs. Oh, and half finished lunch plates and cups on the tables.
Well, each to their own taste.  If it were my pool, there would be a bevy of frolicking naked women!

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: NM-92 on May 04, 2018, 12:41:28 PM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 04, 2018, 06:00:04 AM
Cheers,

After reading my comment again, i realized i expressed myself incorrectly. Of course overlapping objects isn't wrong! I was referring to the cases in which the tangents of the objects were coincident, like Josh said "(lines of one object running into lines of another object)".

What i was trying to say was, avoid those cases either exaggerating the overlap or preventing it from happening at all.
Ha, great. I think we agree then :)

MK-ID

Will Gibbons

These are some very nice, clean architectural renderings. Well-done. Interesting thread. Personally, I would suggest using some Depth of Field on the camera to achieve depth. I don't see too many issues with tangents. :) Nice image.

MK-ID

Quote from: Will Gibbons on July 02, 2018, 04:34:32 PM
These are some very nice, clean architectural renderings. Well-done. Interesting thread. Personally, I would suggest using some Depth of Field on the camera to achieve depth. I don't see too many issues with tangents. :) Nice image.

thank you! I appreciate your comment! Yes, depth of field is a point I did not experiment enough yet - a new point to work on