UV Question

Started by mattjgerard, May 08, 2018, 08:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Is there I can tell within Keyshot that a model has UV's? I'm trying to apply my labels (branding stickers) as UV mapped labels, as that is the only way that they will stay "stuck" to the models if I have to scale them. All the other mapping types goof up the labels if the model gets scaled, and sometimes when its imported into another KS project.

So, I'm currently working on one model, but I apply the label as a UV mapped lable, but no matter how I try to click and position the label I can't see it. The only thing I can think of is that this CAD file isn't UV mapped either correctly or at all. I know very little about UV mapping, so I'm just starting down this path. I know the theory about how it works to unwrap and stick textures to certain orientations and to certain polygons.

So, is there a way to tell if a model is UV'd properly or at all when I can't see a label when UV mapped to a model?

Thanks!

NM-92

Generally you'll see pure black if you set the texture mapping method to UV in a model that isn't unwrapped.

mattjgerard

I'm not even seeing that when applying the label, I am not seeing anything. With the UV mapping you should be able to just click on the model somewhere and the label jumps to where you clicked, but that isn't happening. So I'm thinking this model has no UV's or is not unwrapped or whatevers.

NM-92

I thought you were talking about a texture, sorry. I think that's what the label does then. You should set the mapping method to normal if you want the texture to behave like you described (point and click). I never use UVs for labels, unless you have a really big one that has to follow a certain shape.

Edit: I did not experience the issues you say about scaling and importing the file into another bip. They just stay there once i finished setting them up.

Will Gibbons

Matt, if you scale it up or down, you don't see anything?

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 09, 2018, 10:47:53 AM
Matt, if you scale it up or down, you don't see anything?

No I don't, that's the odd thing. On some models, no matter what I do to the label in UV mapping mode, i can't see it. i will scale it up, down, reset , switch to DPI scaling, all the repeat and flip options, I can't get the label to appear.

Switch over to planar or box, and bam, there it is.

The reason I'm trying to use UV mapping is that if I place a label with, say, box mapping , save the project, then import that bip file into another scene and have to scale the whole model to fit, the labels go goofy because I'm changing the scale of the model. If I do the same with UV mapped labels, they stay "Stuck" to the model in place and scale with it.