Importing a Keyshot file to 3ds Max

Started by neno, July 17, 2018, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neno

Hello!

I know, that might be an unusual question, but is there a way to import a Keyshot file to 3ds Max?

I'm made set of renderings and I made the whole setup in Keyshot (camera, planes etc.). Now the client wants additional renderings with some grass surfaces, and since good looking grass is not really achieveable in KS, I thought I would do these surfaces in Max and post it into the KS renderings. But to do so, I would need the location of the objects and the camera.

mattjgerard

Export from KS as an FBX, import into KS. You won't get the lighting and materials that you achieved in KS on your other objects. BUt this will get you the locations of the objects. Not sure if cameras are transferred out of KS in an FBX.

I would urge you to look at some other options for grass in KS, there are some amazing images in the forums here that have very excellent vegetation in them that looks very convincing. Otherwise you could look at some photoshop comp'ing of images to get what you perceive as the best of both worlds into your images. There are some pretty well done grass on turbosquid and the like, that should be  very useable in KS as the 3dsmax ones usually come with all the texture and opacity maps to work with.

neno

Thank you very much! That worked perfectly.

I would really like to solve this one 100% in Keyshot. I'll look up the forum for the images.

Thanks again!!

DMerz III

I have actually achieved some decent looking grass in Keyshot in the past. It took some trial and error.

The blades of grass are exported as .fbx from blender, re-shaded in Keyshot. It's not perfect, could definitely take it a step further, but not outside the realm of possibilities.

bdesign

Looks awesome, David! I Especially like the random yellowing/dead tips.

Cheers,
Eric

mattjgerard

People have gotten some amazingly realistic dynamic grass out of Cinema4d using the hair system. I've always wanted to take a couple days and explore that and see what I can come up with.

Then work happens :)

Cool Stuff.

DMerz III

Quote from: bdesign on July 19, 2018, 03:35:24 PM
Looks awesome, David! I Especially like the random yellowing/dead tips.

Cheers,
Eric

THANKS ERIC! If I remember correctly, I utilized a gradient node to get some of that random coloration.