Upgrading my pc, advice?

Started by Jermaine87, May 28, 2018, 02:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jermaine87

Hi guys!
You where great help before so I was hoping I could get some help again, so I am currently working with 2 pc's  1 is a 4790, that is a 4c/8t cpu,
But that is mainly the pc I use as a normal pc and to setup the scenes,
The one that renders the more heavy scenes is the 5820k, this is a 3.3ghz 6c/12t cpu, and while this is faster... it's not fast enough...
Now I want to instead of rendering videos in fullHD go to maybe a bit higher, like QHD.
and I am in the mix on what cpu to get.
So several things I seen,
one is the amd 1800x that has 8c/16t, with 1616 on cinebench, (my 5820k did a 981)
the second a amd 2700x that has 8c/16t as well. but 1752 in cinebench (so nothing really in between them)
But I did that basic render test
that somehow showed online: https://youtu.be/F7J79JT35No
Where his 1800x did it in 22 seconds mine did it in 24 seconds (the 5820k)
but someone else had that same 5820k and it took him 32,5 seconds

and I am in the mix about the Threadripper 1920x, that has 12c/24t BUT a motherboard alone cost as much as the CPU's i just mentioned..
and then your over 800 in just for the CPU and motherboard.

So maybe you guys have some advice? or experience with a CPU that you think that is a GOOD update compared to the 5820k?

Jermaine87

I mean the 1800x I can get for 229, and then a motherboard x360 for about 130 so that seems decent.. Just don't know how much improvement it has compared to the i5820k

DriesV

Go with Ryzen 7 2700X if you want 8 cores. Go with Ryzen Threadripper 1950X if you want 16 cores.
Personally, I think Threadripper 1920X is too much a "middle of the pack" CPU. It is neither super competitively priced (unlike 2700X), nor a stellar performer (unlike 1950X).
KeyShot is a joy to use on a Threadripper 1950X.

Dries

Jermaine87

yeah, but is there like a large update with that compared to the 5820k? (yes it has less cores and threads) but if it's like 2 seconds per frame is of course not that much^^ any experience between the 2?

and seen the 1950x but that is a to large update in terms of price haha. While it's a very interesting one to get! 1100 for only the cpu and motherboard is a bit much^^

Furniture_Guy

KeyShot is cores, cores and more cores. I convinced my employer to get a dual 22 core ( total 88 threads ) and it rips through animations. Sorry but if you want the performance, ya gotta pay the price. I'd go with the 1950...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Jermaine87

Yeah not getting enough job offers just yet to do so hehe^^ Maybe a good in between CPU then... I mean 3 pc's then, should at least help with rendering more. (and indirect faster)

DriesV

A 1920x will be just short of being twice as fast as an i7 5820k.
A 1950x will easily be twice as fast as the i7. A properly overclocked 1950x will be nearly three times faster than an i7 5820k.

Dries

Jermaine87

thanks again! noticed the 2700x isn't far from like 1.75x faster than the i5820k which is good for me so far :)

Speedster

I run a BOXX 32 core machine, which is perfect for most of my work. 

But instead of beating yourself up and spending a ton of $$$, consider offloading the heavy stuff to a render farm.  I use 3D Off the Page, and they are SUPER and REASONABLE!  KeyShot only. Pardon my screaming, but these guys are great!  http://www.3dotp.com/.  You can do a lot of heavy renderings and animations for the cost of your own machine.

Bill G

menizzi

Quote from: Jermaine87 on May 28, 2018, 06:44:26 AM1100 for only the cpu and motherboard is a bit much^^

No not really. Get a second job do something for some extra cash. What's wrong with saving money for things you want? Everyone wants toys right now right now and never wants to work or save for it. Amd is giving you great products for low prices. If TR. Was never released shitttttttt. Wait for the 32 core to drop later this year and push prices down even further.