I've Got Double-Vision... Help Make It Stop!

Started by JLance, June 01, 2018, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLance

Hi All!

Just to be clear upfront... I'm entirely new to this whole world of 3D and rendering, so I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if what I'm running into boils down to a User Error!  :D

That said... I've been getting my feet wet with Keyshot this week and have run into a bit of a problem that I've been banging my head against all day today...  ???

It appears that when I place a label on my tumbler that there is one on the outside (where it should be), but there's also a duplicate one on the inside of the tumbler as well.

After poking around the interwebs (and these forums) I came upon a couple of methods that supposedly solve the problem, neither of which fully managed to.

Attached is a KSP with my attempts to solve this problem. It includes 3 models:

Method 1: My initial effort and an example of the problem I'm having. The label I attached is both on the outside AND obviously on the inside as well.
Method 2: This involved creating a 2nd tumbler, attaching the texture to that as well as an opacity map to hide the tumbler. Then the tumbler with the art is offset very slightly so the texture is shown over the correctly colored glass underneath. The outcome here is better in that the label doesn't appear to be inside any longer (though it does show through... as I would expect from a semi-transparent object). Unfortunately there are still 2 labels and the "inside" one appears to give the outside one an unwanted "drop shadow."
Method 3: Similar to method 2 except the recommendation was to make the material for tumbler with the art into white glass with a Refractive Index of 1. Outcome appears to be identical to method 2.

Can anyone lend this poor n00b a hand?  :D

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

cjwidd

If the desired outcome is that there should be a texture on the outside and not the inside, then the easiest way to deal with this is to split the mesh into two parts: inside and outside. This way, the two pieces (inside and outside) do not share the same material, and therefore will not share the same texture space. I've attached a copy of your scene with this method included.

JLance

Fantastic!

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Best,

~J