Translating a Texture Requires Unique Materials - Why?

Started by jordantheperson, June 08, 2018, 09:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordantheperson

I saw this was unanswered before, but I am working with procedural wood and each part that needs the texture translated (rotated or moved) in some way requires that part's material to be unique. Now if I have several parts making up say, a chair frame, even though it is all the same wood, each material is now unique due to the different directions the wood grain. Making any changes to the color or grain of the wood is hugely inconvenient. There is a post on this from 2017 that is now locked and the answers provided are not correct.

I am going to say that this is currently impossible. So where can I request this be fixed?

I haven't tested it yet but I would imagine this is also the case for any directionally dependent materials, like brushed metal, non procedural wood, etc.

DMerz III

:) I'm not from Luxion, but I think the new 'colorways' feature in KS8 would be a possible solution to this. Being able to effectively 'link' separate multi-materials to change all at once depending on a specified colorway you set.

Edit.

Upon reading your challenge once more, I think I misunderstood what you're looking for. What you really want is a way to change the base color from one material and be able to change it across several other 'unlinked' versions of that similar material which all have different mapping coordinates.

In order to do that right now, there is a way. It would require your model to be UV unwrapped (which is the best way to texture map) and use 1 single map (or procedurally built texture..ie. procedural wood) and that way, you only have 1 material to update everytime. Your mapping would be figured out via the UVs.

DriesV

Hi Jordan,

I understand your issue, and agree it can be a pain for some models. Another example is a flight of stairs, where each tread should have a slightly varying mapping for increased realism.
We have some ideas for how to do this. It is mainly a user interface issue.

This will not be for KeyShot 8 though.  :)

Dries