Another label question

Started by mattjgerard, June 12, 2018, 08:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Just verifying that I'm not missing something, and this is just the way labels work right now. The red sticker is supposed to be just on the front edge of the extrusion lear the lens, but another copy of it is wrapping into the mounting channel to the left. The black  BANNER logo on the left is a label also, and it is working properly. Its not wrapping around anywhere.

I have tried all the mapping options, planar seems to get closest. UV won't work, as  there must not be any UV's on it since when I select UV the label disappears and no combination of scaling or sizein or repeating can get it back. I know very little about UV's, so if they aren't there, I'm not sure how to assign them.

Depth is at 0. no repeating, so if this is a case where I need to make a plane for the label to sit on, then so be it, I'll do it to get the image done, but I will also submit this "again" As a buggish sort of behavior.

Finema

Hi
Can you share the file ?
If not you can try to change the depth by 1 or other

mattjgerard

Quote from: Finema on June 12, 2018, 08:36:43 AM
Hi
Can you share the file ?
If not you can try to change the depth by 1

I can post the project, but interestingly, while I played with the depth slider before and didn't get the result I was looking for, I did just for fun type in ".1" into the depth box and the erroneuous label in the moutning groove moved enough to hide itself for this shot. if I rotate to the side, I can still see it on the inside of the channel. Which means the issue is still there, but you helped me  find a workaround to get the request done, and for that I thank you!

Now, I'm still interested in why this is happening, so give me a couple minutes to send this to the render farm and I'll package up the file and post it.

TGS808

Hey Matt

I have seen this (rather strange) behavior as well, starting with KS7 (KS6 never did this). I've noticed that when applying a label it also appears on the flip side of the part, only backwards. I discovered that by unchecking "Two Sided", the one on the flip side will go away. I don't l know why "Two Sided" would be the default. You said your black label is behaving properly but I bet if you pull that part out the label will be reversed on the other side/inside.

In addition to that I have seen the problem you are experiencing here, that in which the label projects on to the geometry behind/beyond the label's intended part on to another section of the model with the same material. Unchecking "Two Sided" does nothing to fix this. In these cases I have been using the Edit Geometry feature to separate the part where the label is appearing unintentionally and then removing the label from that part. Down side is I am making extra parts and duplicate versions of materials I otherwise wouldn't need a duplicate of. I agree with you that this seems buggy. As stated earlier KS6 never did anything like this.

designgestalt

hey Matt,
I would have to second that.
I have experienced the same and as you said, it seems like the depth button isn't doing anything.
Also like TGS808 is mentioning, I have labels on other parts of my model that use the same texture.
neither way, either detach the material or splitting the geometry is a very elegant way to solve this problem, as both come with a downfall!

cheers
designgestalt

BWT maybe off topic but still applies to the labels :
when I open an old file from KS6 and than upgrade the label to a new node (is that the correct term? I run the german version of KS, so I have to translate backwards :)  ) the position of the label shifts, so I have to re-position it.
also: if I group different parts with labels to one group, the labels disappear. They are still connected to the material, but do not show. I have to open the material editor and slightly move the label to let it reappear ...

Finema

@ mattjgerard
can you share the file ? ;)

TGS808

Downloaded your file. Changing the Depth to .1 did seem to work. When I rotate the model, I don't see the label anywhere else except for where it is supposed to be.

mattjgerard

Quote from: TGS808 on June 14, 2018, 08:55:25 AM
Downloaded your file. Changing the Depth to .1 did seem to work. When I rotate the model, I don't see the label anywhere else except for where it is supposed to be.

yeah, that's what I got too. I left the blue label in the first studio at 0 so people could see what was happening. I still think its a bit wrong, as a label, it should be only where you put it. That's it. no wrapping, no popping through to the other side. Hopefully we don't have to wait until 8 for a fix for the behavior of labels.