Trying to make a Pattern with 2 models

Started by Artbot, June 14, 2018, 01:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artbot

Okay, I found Model Sets-to make a pattern. Hidden window under "Show"-and I see it's up top in Menu/View. But now that I named my Model set, I still don't see how I can make a Pattern from it. I right-click, but the word Pattern isn't showing up.

TGS808

You don't need to make a model set to make a pattern with two models. Just group the two models together, then right click on the group in the scene tree to make a pattern from the group.

mattjgerard

As of right now Patterns can only be made from top level objects. If the grou pis nested in another group, the Pattern option won't appear. So in your screen grab, yes you can pattern GROUP 2 but you can't pattern either MODEL 1 or MODEL 2 unless you drag them out of the group first.

TGS808

Yes, that's true. But he only wanted to make a pattern that consists of two models. He didn't mention wanting to make patterns of the models individually within the group. So, for his purposes it works.

mattjgerard

So, pattern tool is something that seems to be very very inconsistent with me. I am fighting with it right now, and will be heading to the Wish List section to make some suggestions. It seems very necessary to have to have the objects in a certain positioning in the scene tree to pattern them. Also when the clones are made, each clone is set within its own group. Which makes for a messy scene tree. Normally I can pattern an object that is on the main top level of the scene tree, but this time I had to nest that object in a group then pattern the group. I created a cube, pulled the actual cube out from the group it is automatically placed in, and was able to pattern that without it being in a group, but I have to nest my own object in a group to pattern it. Strange.

TGS808

I don't have a lot of experience with the pattern tool. I haven't had any need to use more than a couple of times for simple, single model patterns. What you described does not sound fun.