Decals from SolidWorks not rendering

Started by Aleyo, June 18, 2018, 03:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleyo

Hey,

I'm using KyeShot 6 and SolidWorks 2014. I added decals as labels and still no result. Is it even possible to get them rendered?

TGS808

Are you adding the decals/labels in Solidworks or KeyShot? The title of your post makes it sound like you are adding them in Solidworks. You need to add them in KeyShot. If you do that, they will render.

Aleyo

Yeah I'm adding them in Solidworks. I guess I have to do it in KeyShot. Could'nt get it woking tho...well thx for help

TGS808

Applying them in KeyShot is easy. Do that, and you'll be good to go.

Speedster

Sorry, but decals applied within SolidWorks do not transfer over to KeyShot.  You have to apply them within KS.

I use tons of decals on product designs, so here's a few tips.

I usually color map a surface at the part level, to "tell" KS where to apply it.  In KeyShot you can apply the same base material to both the mapped and main surface, just unlink them before applying the decal.

Many product designs require exact placement of decals for the pad printer, etc.  So I create an exact dimensioned "boundary box" using the Split Line tool, and then apply the decal in SW.  This is the traditional way to create a drawing for the pad printer. Then I create a configuration called "Tooling" and one called "Printing".  This way you can create an exactly dimensioned drawing set, one for the toolmaker without the boundary box, and one for the printer with the box and decal.

Then, in KeyShot, use the Printer configuration.  Apply your decal to size.  Then drag in the material using the Ctrl key to retain the decal.  Precision location.

Good to go on all fronts!

Bill G

Aleyo

Thank for the replies. I just used different solution in Solidworks and it worked fine!

-Alex

TGS808

You added labels/decals as images in Solidworks and they showed up on the model when you imported it into KeyShot? Is that even possible? I didn't think KeyShot read image textures imported in from other programs at all. Which is what Bill also confirmed. Color separations yes but not images. What was your different solution?

INNEO_MWo

I can't test this with Solidworks, cause we're on Creo. But Creo refers to the graphic file via config / path setting. And if KeyShot has set the same path in the prefs as the texture file path, the import transfers the CAD placed textures.
May you give it a try and post the result??

TGS808

I actually don't have any need/interest in doing this as adding them in KeyShot works perfectly fine for me. I just wasn't aware KeyShot would import image files along with the model. I've never seen it done. I would assume if it works, it is only with certain file formats.