Main Menu

Deleted folder?!?

Started by Eric Summers, June 20, 2018, 08:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Summers

So this morning I queued up a couple of XRs to render. After I started it I had to stop the one in progress and stop the queue because I forgot to change my lighting. Anyways, after I got everything set up correctly and was adding the first XR back to the queue, I couldn't find the folder I send my renders to. It would seem that KeyShot deleted the folder either when I stopped the in progress render or canceled the queue. Luckily IT was able to restore the folder, but it is concerning that it had been deleted.

The folder is a temporary holding location for my XRs; I move them out once they finish. It was empty when IT restored it (as it should be) and the only thing I can think of is that KeyShot deleted the folder because it was empty. But that does make me a little leery that it could happen when there is something in the folder.

mattjgerard

Just got done deleting a network render while in progress, and it left my destination folder alone. I do the same as you, i have a render repository on the network that the NR renders to, then I move them to the proper project folder when done. I've never had any issues of it dissapearing.

Windows 7, updated versions of everything. The NR is running Win 10.

Eric Summers

Hmm, perhaps this was just one of those strange quirks that will never happen again. I forgot to mention the machine is running Windows 10. It is encouraging to hear that you just did something similar without any problem. Thanks Matt!

mattjgerard

We have 3 artists all hitting our network renderer all day, with all of us sending to our own network folders. We have had great success with this. I've thought of sending all images to a central folder, but that would get messy and I like to keep my stuff seperate from others. Would make for easier backups for IT, but everything gets copied local and backed up every night anyway.

I would suggest to try to make it happen again, and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Eric Summers

Quote from: mattjgerard on June 21, 2018, 08:41:16 AM
I would suggest to try to make it happen again, and see if you can reproduce the problem.
I'm thinking about creating an isolated location to test it out. That way if I can reproduce the folder deletion it isn't anything I need to worry about.

Eric Summers

Well, I just had to stop another XR, this time because the camera wasn't orbiting around the product. It was also part of a queue of XRs, so I moved the completed ones out just in case the top level folder got deleted again. I'm glad I did because when I stopped the one in progress it did delete the top level folder. I'm going to contact support since I've been able to replicate it now. I'll report back what I hear.

mattjgerard

Wow, that's interesting. Maybe try again if you have a chance to and leave a dummy file in the folder to see  if its a function of  whether or not the folder is empty if it gets deleted or not.

Yeah, definitely a support question.

Eric Summers

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 02, 2018, 06:56:57 AM
Wow, that's interesting. Maybe try again if you have a chance to and leave a dummy file in the folder to see  if its a function of  whether or not the folder is empty if it gets deleted or not.

Yeah, definitely a support question.

Nice suggestion Matt! I put a dummy folder in the destination folder and ran a test and it worked! I stopped the XR but the destination folder wasn't deleted. I'll be doing this for all the locations I render my XRs to.

I contacted support and they suggested using 'Stop and Save' instead of just 'Stop'. The way I looked at it was always "why would I want to save it if I'm stopping it because of a problem?" But it does seem to be a better choice, I did a test using Stop and Save without a dummy folder in place and the destination folder wasn't deleted.

So from now on I'll be keeping a dummy folder wherever I'm saving an XR to and using Stop and Save if I have to cancel one for any reason.

mattjgerard

Still don't like the fact that KS is deleting ANYTHING without permission. Especially if the folder was created outside of KS, in the finder. That's not cool at all, and not the point of having a destination folder.

Eric Summers

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 03, 2018, 11:01:53 AM
Still don't like the fact that KS is deleting ANYTHING without permission.

That's my biggest concern too. I didn't like the fact something was being deleted when what I did shouldn't have caused that. Hopefully it will be fixed in KeyShot 8.