Falling Coffee Beans

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, June 26, 2018, 03:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Did an experiment with the alembic format from blender to KeyShot for a "Falling Coffee Beans" scene.

Bowl was modeled in NX and brought in as a dummy to blender. I had some coffee bean models laying around from a previous project that suited well for a little physics test.

Even thought it might look a bit odd, I kinda like the contrast from a completely static falling beans to complete chaos, but I'm gonna try experimenting by giving objects an initial subtle spin for a next round.

https://vimeo.com/277060480

Finema

Magnus Skogsfjord

CarlosFerreira

This is sweet. I'm new to Blender. I'm assuming that animations were done in Blender and imported to KeyShot right lol? If so would you mind explaining how that's done or point me in the direction to find out? Really cool video.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: CarlosFerreira on June 26, 2018, 08:42:02 AM
This is sweet. I'm new to Blender. I'm assuming that animations were done in Blender and imported to KeyShot right lol? If so would you mind explaining how that's done or point me in the direction to find out? Really cool video.
Thank you! I'm relatively new to Blender myself, but doing a bit of experimenting to see if it can fill in the gaps in my competence to provide this kind of content. I have no tutorial available that takes you all the way from A to B, but I started by following this tutorial in Blender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHRueoUthd0

Once you're satisfied with the physics of it, you just need to run through the animation one time and export it as an alembic format (.abc). This can be imported into KeyShot like any other file format and the steps will be added to your timeline like any other animation.

At this point, it's all a matter of adding your materials, lighting and camera movements.

Hope it helps! And don't hesitate to ask more if anything is unclear.

bdesign

Magnusificent!! This is just stunning, Magnus! Everything about this is brilliant- lighting, texturing, animation, camera editing. I especially like the third camera cut to the close-up of the bowl. And as always, your DOF setup skills are superb  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: bdesign on July 11, 2018, 07:50:34 PM
Magnusificent!! This is just stunning, Magnus! Everything about this is brilliant- lighting, texturing, animation, camera editing. I especially like the third camera cut to the close-up of the bowl. And as always, your DOF setup skills are superb  :)
Haha! Long time no hear Eric. Great to hear from you and your ever kind compliments! Such a blast to read it every time:) Thank you!