OBJ file missing BIP file

Started by studytick, June 27, 2018, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studytick

Hi
My boss sent me a .obj file.  When loading it into Keyshot a error message came up saying it is "missing a BIP file and cannot be opened"
My boss does not know what to do neither do I. 
Can you help me?
Thanks,
C

TGS808

Sounds strange. The bip (as you likely know) is KeyShot's native file format. There's no reason I can think of that a bip would be "missing" if you are trying to import and obj into a new scene (or at all really). Once the obj is in the scene and you save it, you would have bip file. Can you share the obj file for someone here to give it a try?

mattjgerard

Silly suggestion, but make sure you are hitting the IMPORT function, not the OPEN function in the menu, or try to drag and drop from the OS into an open keyshot project to make sure KS is trying to import it and not open it, thinking its a bip file.

Also, try to open in a modeling program like blender to see if the obj is corrupted. In my experience OBJ's are quite robust, but it is possible that something knackered the file somewhere.

TGS808

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 02, 2018, 06:50:13 AM
Silly suggestion, but make sure you are hitting the IMPORT function, not the OPEN function in the menu

That was the first thing I thought of too so I tested it out. Whether I used IMPORT or OPEN, KeyShot opened the obj without a problem.