Live Linking / Solidworks: Fails, Crashes, Missing Parts, Wrong Positions

Started by flow5, July 04, 2018, 07:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flow5

Hello ,
im Working with 3D Solidworks Datas with file size 10- 50 mb and i experience a lot of failures during the try to send the data to Solidwoks.

Win 10 64
    KeyShot Version 7.3.40
    Solidworks 2018 SP 2.0
  No pictures, data is confidential

It doesent matter if i export the data to a keyshot file or if im sending it directly to Keyshot:
The fails changes but one of them is still there.
- Many times it get stuck while importing with different memory space. Its possible to abort the import in the status window.
- Many times it imports the file but with wrong position of the elements in the solidworks assembly. The wrong positions of the objects also varies and arent the same
- One time it imported the file complete but crashes while preparing the stage.
- One time the import status window disappears it looks like the import is done, but the stage is empty but keyshot seems to sampling on the cpu.
- After export Solidworks Data to a keyshot file and try to open it in Keyshot it says "Scene data is incomplete" or "Fatal error reading:C/.....bip it is truncated" or nothing happens.

I try to talk with the support about that but only get the help to update my keyshot Version... but after it absolutely nothing changed on that problem.
Right now i absolutely cant import my model in keyshot since days, but need pictures for my presentation.

As far as i could read here in the forum, since years you are  you are facing massive problems  with this live linking feature but still dont get it fixed.
I dont now how many hours i spend waiting for sending the Data to Keyshot or exporting Solidworks Models into Keyshot file without a result,
its only frustrating and i will never again advise keyshot as a working tool.

Eric Summers

Are you using v1.6 for the plugin? I remember the earlier versions had some issues, but as of v1.6 I haven't had any problems with the SolidWorks plugin.

flow5

Yes im using v1.6 for the plugin. "Some issues" is good, i absolutely cant get the machine i have in solidworks into Keyshot..

Eric Summers

Hmm, that's frustrating  :(

I've had some models that for whatever reason just don't cooperate recently. I had one file that brought only one part of the assembly in, but it was duplicated with one of them being in a weird orientation in red color. I tried clicking on the body, but KeyShot didn't recognize that anything was even there!

Just last week I had an assembly that kept hanging at the same subassembly every time I tried to send to KS.
What I ended up doing was suppressing the offending subassembly (this turned into 2 or 3 subassemblies) until I got the top level assembly into KS. Then I created a new model set with the geometry that did make it in to act as a sort of backup. I switched back to SW, unsurpressed one of the subassemblies and sent it to KS again. For whatever reason, this worked. Went back to SW and unsurpressed everything, sent to KS and everything came in!

I'm not sure if this would work for you; I'm not even sure why it worked for me but it might be worth a shot.