How can I render in Performance mode?

Started by astranaft, July 06, 2018, 11:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astranaft

Hi.

I have a beautiful image in Performance mode. I really love it. But when I render it (staying in this mode) I get a crap.

I've tryed everything. Render settings (1 pass, 1 ray bounce,...), lux.script, environment settings... Nothing works.

Need help.

astranaft

The problem is solved. Once I've chosen semitransparent plastic material for the white part of the model, Keyshot then shows it as simple "Diffuse" material in Performance mode. But, ... wait for it..., when Keyshot renders it in Performance mode, it uses original semitransparent plastic material, but not a diffuse material as in a viewport. Why Keyshot acts so? Who knows...

So how have I got the beauty I had in Performance mode? It's simple as I never imagined. Just replaced all materials used in the scene to "Diffuse" type. A bit adjusted the image to be similar to original one with complex materials in Performance mode and successfully rendered. In this case the image I have when rendering with performance mode setting is similar to itself in performance mode viewport when editing scene.

mattjgerard

Keyshot is working as designed, and as expected. Transparent plastics take a long time to resolve and become noise free, so they need to render for longer than a simple diffuse material. I'm glad you got the look that you were trying for, but the program looks to be behaving the way it should. Performance mode isn't really intended to be used as a final output mode, its for improving the performance within the viewport while placing models, moving objects etc.

theAVator

I have to agree with @mattjgerard. It's working as should - performance mode is more to speed up the viewport so it doesn't lag while trying set up shots of either really large models or really complex scenes with complex lighting and materials. It basically strips out all the extra processing so you can stuff quicker and more easily. It's still going to render with the real settings that are hidden from view. Not sure if there is an easy way to replicate this more easily or higher quality.

One option you do have, albeit probably lower resolution than you're looking for, is to let your viewport res. up in performance mode and then use the screenshot button in the lower right corner to take a "snapshot" of it which would capture the image shown in performance mode. The main drawback to this is no transparency and it's only at screen resolution.

mattjgerard

I think if you select performance in the Lighting tab, it will actually render in that mode when sent to the renderer. So, if you really like the look of the performance mode, do it that way instead of using the performance mode button on the ribbon.

Eric Summers

Strange, I've rendered in Performance mode (not intentionally though :P) by picking it from the ribbon. What render mode are you using?

astranaft

Performance mode.

My question is not actual now. It has been solved already. One of the indirect feature of Keyshot 7 is that it uses complex materials (half transparent foggy plastic for instance) in Performance mode rendering, instead of Diffuse materials (associated with that complex plastics) it used when you have been edited (in viewport) in the same mode.

mattjgerard

But if you want the look of a diffuse material, then use a diffuse material. Performance mode does exactly what it should, by taking those complex materials and turning them into simple materials for the purpose of softening the load on the CPU for other tasks all without losing the materials and settings of the original. I don't think performance mode was ever intended to be used as an output render. If you want that look, use basic mode and diffuse materials. In performance mode you loose ground shadows, GI, and other things.

But in the end its just a tool, and if you are getting the look you want out of performance mode then go for it, I say. I can use a hammer to drive a screw in, may not be its intent, but in the end if it gets the job done then bravo!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Eric Summers on July 09, 2018, 12:27:46 PM
Strange, I've rendered in Performance mode (not intentionally though :P) by picking it from the ribbon. What render mode are you using?

If you try, KeyShot 7 will not actually render in performance mode. It'll revert to Basic, the lowest settings it'll tolerate when rendering.

Eric Summers

Quote from: Will Gibbons on July 13, 2018, 09:03:04 AM
If you try, KeyShot 7 will not actually render in performance mode. It'll revert to Basic, the lowest settings it'll tolerate when rendering.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification Will!