Bump mapping issue

Started by Zvi, July 10, 2018, 11:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

Although the mapping type is sphere the hexagons look distorted.

mattjgerard

try switching to PART instead of MODEL. That has cleared up some interesting problems for me in the past.

Zvi

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 10, 2018, 12:02:35 PM
try switching to PART instead of MODEL. That has cleared up some interesting problems for me in the past.

Thanks. But I already tried it and it did not help.

Eric Summers

I think the problem is that you're trying to wrap a flat square around a sphere. There has to be some distortion in order for the edges of your map to line up. Besides UV mapping it, I can't think of any other suggestions.

Zvi

Quote from: Eric Summers on July 10, 2018, 12:28:36 PM
I think the problem is that you're trying to wrap a flat square around a sphere. There has to be some distortion in order for the edges of your map to line up. Besides UV mapping it, I can't think of any other suggestions.

So the sphere mapping type is not useful?

Eric Summers

Quote from: Zvi on July 10, 2018, 01:11:12 PM
So the sphere mapping type is not useful?

It seems like in your case, yes. I just pulled this from the KS7 manual:

"The Sphere mapping type will project a texture inwards from a sphere. The texture will resemble the original image the most at the equator. The texture will start to converge as it reaches the poles of the sphere. As with box mapping, stretching is less of an issue when working on multi sided objects than it is with any of the planar mapping modes."

So with other texture types where distortion isn't an issue it would be alright.