Lil something I was messing with.
Enjoy
Tim

Tiho Ramovic

EGON

Speedster

elliasp

guest84672

umtsumtsumtsumtsumts .... Awesome, Tim. Care to share a few tips and tricks as far as the materials go?

feher

Thank You all for the support.
What tip can I give you for creating materials....hmmmmmm

First let me say I do not use the same material twice. Every new image is a new beginning for me. Depending on your environment materials never look the same.
I use a lot of plastic and metallic paint as my base.

Before I put any textures or bump maps on my  material I make sure my material feels like how I want it to look. Shinny plastic dull plastic, hard ,soft ..etc When I feel my image has all the right look and feel is when I add textures and bump.
If something is suppose to look soft I make sure it looks and feels soft before applying textures.
I very rarely use chrome for chrome, I make it from a metallic paint. You have a lot more control over your mid tones that way.
Don't be afraid to use the IOR or crank up the samples on a material, not samples in the render window, but on the material window.

That's all I have for now.
Tim

guest84672

Love it - thanks Tim. How did you create the material for the ear foam pieces?

feher

The ear piece was a plastic material. With Frenel on. increased the roughness but also increased the samples on this material. I use the IOR to determined how much shine I will have first, then increase or decrease my roughness to ether spread out that shine for dull soft look or decrease the roughness for that harder more slick look. Once I got the material the way I needed it. I added a bump map to it (Skin) just to give it some rough feel to it.
For the Carbon Fiber I used the default one. decreased the intensity of the material increased the IOR for more shine once I had that figured out I added a carbon fiber bump map (normal) and increased the height of it to give me those shiny streaks.
What is so important is, it's not about creating a accurate material but create a feel of that material. I hope that made some sense. if you can nail down your materials specular to make something feel soft or hard or slick without the help of a texture you'll have a great image. adding the texture and bump map is just an added bonus.

In short you want to feel your materials not so much see them.
Tim

feher

Thomas,
Look out once we have specular maps and alpha maps in Keyshot thats when materials will take on a whole new look and feel.
I can't wait.
Tim

Chad Holton

Great rendering and tips!
Thanks, Tim!

Chad

guest84672

Very cool, Tim. Thank you!

FYI - for the rest of you, Tim has turned on the advanced settings for materials. You can do this under Preferences, Genera Setting. Check "Show advanced settings".

And yes, specular and alpha maps are coming ...

fario

Your image is very beautiful, bravo

and your comments are impressive pedagogy, thank you very much!

I learned a lot, especially when you talk of chromium.

Antoine

DougieK

What a fantastic image, thanks for the tips as well.

KeyShot