animation render issue

Started by herr-nielsson, August 30, 2018, 05:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herr-nielsson

Hello everybody,

new to KS Animation, i just tried to output a little test.avi. Trying to render my camera animation I got this error message:

"you cannot use EXT, TIFF, ... when rendering a movie"

The Luxion Support wrote: "Sadly the codec that is responsible of generating the final video, does not support those file formats."

So what's the particular problem here? Is it codec-related an if so, which codec is needed to be installed?

Thank you in advance!

mattjgerard

The reply you will hear most often is to not render to a movie file, render out frames, then assemble the frames in your favorite video or compositing program. There is little to gain by rendering straight out to a movie file in most cases.

herr-nielsson

Quote from: mattjgerard on August 30, 2018, 06:39:24 AM
The reply you will hear most often is to not render to a movie file, render out frames, then assemble the frames in your favorite video or compositing program ...

Thank you for your reply, mattjgerard.
Well, that would be a workaround. But why exactly dou you (perhaps like many others would) suggest a detour?
The possibility to render an animation is one of the promoted pro features – the preview function did its Job in my case. So if this feature is implemented, why doesn't it work properly? Doesn't it work in general or just in some configurations? Is it a bug or a matter of codec or ...?
Finally, is the Workaround the only chance to getting my clip?

mattjgerard

The container files that Luxion decided to support for exporting movies don't support those still image formats. The initial restriction on not using tiff exr, etc is the limitation of the codec being used (.avi, .mov) and what versions they are allowing to be used.

TIFF.EXR, etc are still image formats, they aren't generally used for self contained movies. Is there a reason that you want these formats and not one of the flavors that Keyshot offers? The Quicktime mp4 is good for general use,  the AVI uncompressed would give you a high quality output, and the flash video should never ever be used :)

When deciding what video codec to output to I find it is most important to first know what you want to use the video for- That will help guide the decision on which codec to use among the ones available.