[RESOLVED]"does not contain 3D geometry" error importing rhino .3dm

Started by Dave@DRAFT, September 01, 2018, 10:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave@DRAFT

When trying to import a Rhino .3dm file I get the error "file does not contain 3D geometry."

I've tried shading all view ports.
I've tried clicking the "import NURBS data" checkbox in the Keyshot import settings box.

The model will import as a .STEP or .IGES, but it imports as all separate parts even though I have things grouped in layers AND with specific colors in Rhino.

I can't figure out how to import the model and have everything broken out the way it is in my Rhino file.

Öner

hi, first of all; you need to save your model in shade view at rhinoceros.  if this doesn't solve your problem then try to find a part which sometimes keyshot doesn't open some crash parts, surfaces e.t.c.

Garcia196

It is important to make sure you have all part files in the same folder as your assembly file, and the file is compatible with KeyShot. All supported file types for KeyShot can be found here. www.krogerfeedback.com

jannikgoetz

Hey!

Try to save as Rhino 5 file if you are using Rhino 6. Certainly not a solution, but does the job for me...

All the best

Bruno F

Quote from: Dave@DRAFT on September 01, 2018, 10:17:03 PM
When trying to import a Rhino .3dm file I get the error "file does not contain 3D geometry."

I've tried shading all view ports.
I've tried clicking the "import NURBS data" checkbox in the Keyshot import settings box.

The model will import as a .STEP or .IGES, but it imports as all separate parts even though I have things grouped in layers AND with specific colors in Rhino.

I can't figure out how to import the model and have everything broken out the way it is in my Rhino file.

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your post.

In my experience, import errors with .3dm files appear when:

1. The Rhino file is not properly saved.
2. KeyShot software is not up to date.
3. KeyShot does not support your version of Rhino yet.

Here are some things you can try:

1. Save your .3dm files while in Shaded view mode.
2. Install the latest KeyShot update.
3. Save your .3dm files as a Rhino 5 file (or older).
4. Export your Rhino files via the KeyShot plugin for Rhino. Our plugins are updated frequently and provide support for the latest CAD software.
5. Export a .STEP file from Rhino.

For more information, click here.

If the issue persists, please send your Rhino file to Luxion Support at support@luxion.com for diagnosis.