How did you create this detail please ?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: rembem on October 09, 2018, 05:23:38 AM
Looking nice! Like the detail shots with the depth of field
Thank you!

Quote from: mousek on October 12, 2018, 06:15:33 AM
very nice and clean render ...

Thank you! Well.. Where to start? I modeled it in NX, imported it to KeyShot, textured it (with poliigon textures), rendered it, and retouched it a bit. I'm sure that's not answering your question, but feel free to elaborate on which part you want to know more about.

cjwidd

Magnus, could you describe how you approach the lighting for this environment; a screenshot from the editor would be super helpful?

A couple questions might be:

• Does the environment in this scene only consist of a floor and wall, or are there other walls / ceiling elements that do not appear in frame?
  • Is this scene lit predominately with HDRi, or are you using mostly physical lights?
  • The shadow details on the wall, are you using a light cookie, or actual geometry?
I am not a formally trained 3D artist, so advice from forum members like you, Esben, Will, etc. really go a long way.

Zeltronic

Nice & very clean render, impressive work as usual   :)

ZICO

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on October 12, 2018, 07:51:50 AM
Quote from: rembem on October 09, 2018, 05:23:38 AM
Looking nice! Like the detail shots with the depth of field
Thank you!

Quote from: mousek on October 12, 2018, 06:15:33 AM
very nice and clean render ...

Thank you! Well.. Where to start? I modeled it in NX, imported it to KeyShot, textured it (with poliigon textures), rendered it, and retouched it a bit. I'm sure that's not answering your question, but feel free to elaborate on which part you want to know more about.

Hello, great work!!

May I ask how you got the texture to follow the curve of the bend of the wood?
Im trying to render a chair with bent plywood and I am having trouble with the texture to follow the surface.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: ZICO on February 05, 2019, 10:18:11 PM
Im trying to render a chair with bent plywood and I am having trouble with the texture to follow the surface.

Magnus modeled the surfaces with UV coordinates and separated the side surfs and the top / bottom surface to apply different textures.
These textures are UV mapped to follow the shape.

So modelling with UV's are the real challenge most MCAD programs don't support really well or completely not.

Magnus provided a great blog, so we can see how to use these technique with an example of a weld:
https://blog.keyshot.com/local-uv-mapping-creating-realistic-weld-textures-in-keyshot

Good luck to solve your plywood renders.

cheers
Marco

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: cjwidd on January 18, 2019, 08:05:42 PM
Magnus, could you describe how you approach the lighting for this environment; a screenshot from the editor would be super helpful?

A couple questions might be:

• Does the environment in this scene only consist of a floor and wall, or are there other walls / ceiling elements that do not appear in frame?
  • Is this scene lit predominately with HDRi, or are you using mostly physical lights?
  • The shadow details on the wall, are you using a light cookie, or actual geometry?
I am not a formally trained 3D artist, so advice from forum members like you, Esben, Will, etc. really go a long way.
Hi man!

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't realize there still was life in this thread. I wish I could show you a screenshot of the setup, but right now my computer is rendering 24/7, so I'm gonna have to rely on my literal explanations : ) To your questions:

1. In the current scene, I have two walls (behind and to the left), a floor and a ceiling. However, in the ceiliing I have an "opening" with a cross hatched opacity map that gives those shadow effects as you are referring to. 

2. I rarely use physical lights, unless I want to emphasize some caustics effect. The reason is that I find physical lights (maybe except for emissive planes etc) difficult to control when chasing realism. I also often struggle with fireflies when using physical lights, so I try to avoid it if possible. Not that physical lighting in general is off or bad, I'm just not super comfortable in using it as primary light sources due to the mentioned reasons.

3. Had to google what a light cookie is, but no, it's from a strong light source in the HDRI, that goes through the opacity mapped ceiling as mentioned above here.

I'm not a formally trained CG artist either, so I'm learning every day (like light cookie here) :)

Quote from: Zeltronic on January 20, 2019, 05:40:21 AM
Nice & very clean render, impressive work as usual   :)
Thank you! Appreciate that : )

Quote from: ZICO on February 05, 2019, 10:18:11 PM
Hello, great work!!

Thank you! I guess MWO (thanks!) did the courtesy of answering me thorougly here. Let me know if you have further questions!