Keyshot 8 features

Started by Paul Lang, September 18, 2018, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aptyler

Quote from: KeyShot on October 02, 2018, 06:37:13 PM
Quote from: aptyler on October 02, 2018, 11:36:52 AM
It'll probably be a few weeks yet before KS8 is deployed at my place of work. Can anyone who's had a chance to play with it let me know whether there's support for a secondary UV channel?

As Matt mentioned you can access different uv mappings through labels (and as Matt mentioned you can think of these as layers of materials). We could add support for multiple uv channels (the engine already supports it). Out of curiousity; how you would get the secondary uv channel onto the model?

FBX meshes include support a secondary UV channel. From what I've gleaned, the use multiple UV channels is more common with game models. Typically they'll map diffuse color, specular, and "metalness" textures onto UV channel 1, and then map the normal texture to UV channel 2 of the same mesh. This way the normal texture can leverage mesh symmetry (different areas of the mesh use the same texture data L/R reversed) and ignore dead space (something you can't do with diffuse color, etc.) They can then bake their normal textures more efficiently, thereby reducing texture size and preserving the fidelity of the normal data.

DMerz III

Quote from: KeyShot on October 02, 2018, 06:37:13 PM
Quote from: aptyler on October 02, 2018, 11:36:52 AM
It'll probably be a few weeks yet before KS8 is deployed at my place of work. Can anyone who's had a chance to play with it let me know whether there's support for a secondary UV channel?

As Matt mentioned you can access different uv mappings through labels (and as Matt mentioned you can think of these as layers of materials). We could add support for multiple uv channels (the engine already supports it). Out of curiousity; how you would get the secondary uv channel onto the model?

In Blender, if you have several UV channels for the same geometry, you have a UV mapping node, which allows you to specify which set of UVs you want to associate with the texture you'd like to map.

I'm not sure how that would translate in KS, but if what aptyler said is true about .FBX having multiple UV support, that information must be stored somewhere in the file for accessing?

Livingstone

Hello Guys ,
I am very excited about all the Keyshot8 new features.
I have a question about the vbd import for volumetric effects. Is it possible to import vdb sequence to have animated smoke/ explosions?
If yes , perfect.
If not , there is someone working on a script to load the VDB sequence ?

DMerz III

Quote from: Livingstone on October 02, 2018, 07:41:19 PM
Is it possible to import vdb sequence to have animated smoke/ explosions?
If yes , perfect.
If not , there is someone working on a script to load the VDB sequence ?

VDB Sequences are not available at the moment, but I think I've seen someone mention this would be a feature they work on for a future patch/release.  It's obvious that all of these new features will just wet the palette for the artists in us and we'll soon want more and more. Thankfully, the dev team is always listening, so the more we ask for it, the more likely it will be a priority.

mattjgerard

Give an inch, want a mile, eh? I hate it when I do that to developers! Has to be really frustrating to come up with some killer features to listen to people talk about why it can't also do x y or z :)

Either way, I'm guessing vdb seq will take the same route alembic seq did in 7. started with single frames then someone wrote a script, then they built it in for one of the point releases.

jlgroff

Will the Keyshot for ZBrush PRO 8 be able to import Open VDB?

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: jlgroff on October 04, 2018, 11:16:15 AM
Will the Keyshot for ZBrush PRO 8 be able to import Open VDB?

Yes, via the volume map texture, you can use open VDB files.
You'll also find an example in the material library.

Cheers
Marco