Clown pass from behind glass

Started by mattjgerard, October 01, 2018, 08:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I have an array of LED's that are behind a single flat glass lens, and I would like to use the Clown pass to do some photoshop magic to create color options. I did render the model without the glass lens to get the clown pass for the LED assemblies, but the refractive effect of the glass causes a difference between the clown renders with the lens turned on and off. The shift isn't much, but enough to render the clown pass without the lens unusable. is there any way or trick to get the clown pass to see through the lens and respect the refractive effect of the lens? Its not much, not a couple pixels different, but enough in different directions that its not a simple shifting of the clown pass one direction.

DMerz III

In the past, I have manually turned the thing I want to be a 'clown' to a flat color (using the flat shader type) and leaving the glass on so I have the correct refraction, and the flat color rendered through it.

It's not perfect, and takes a little extra work obviously, but it works in a pinch

mattjgerard

Ooooo, good idea, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional.

DMerz III

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 01, 2018, 08:44:50 AM
Ooooo, good idea, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional.

:D Glad I could help