How to Activate KS8 with KS7 Serial Number ?

Started by Mario Stockinger, October 02, 2018, 09:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario Stockinger

I just downloaded KS8 and wanted to activate the licence with our KS7 Key  as described on the website.

But all i get is wrong serial number - we have a support / software assurance for KS7 - so i want to know how i can get a new serial number.

At first i didn't deactivate the Ks7 licence , i thought that could be the issue but deactivating the licence in KS7 didn't help.

mattjgerard

license@luxion.com is the quickest way to find your answers. I got my network license request sent back within 15 min yesterday.

DMerz III

In KS8, when I opened the installer, it asked if I wanted to migrate my Ks7 settings, which I did, and this made everything seamless for me including the transfer of the serial #.
Note this will only work if you have been paying for maintenance on your license (or bought the version 7 within the time period for a free upgrade).

mattjgerard

interesting, my installer did not do that. But, I did not uninstall KS8 Beta which probably messed that up. id really like to have it migrate everything for me. I might try to uninstall everything 8 and try again.

Mario Stockinger

Well i did the transfer - when we upgraded from KS6 to KS7 we had the same issue so maybe that's the problem.

We had to use a licence file in the past.....

mattjgerard

I've had little niggling things out of sorts since I went from 6 to 7. My icons haven't worked for 2 years, and my local background render window shows black the entire time even when the render is done. I dont render locally all that much but its still annoying. Gonna try a full uninstall and reinstall after i wrap up a couple projects and upgrade to windows 10.

Just for fun I ran into the IT guy in the lunch room and mentioned that I was getting an ssd ready to hackintosh my computer and he nearly vapor locked right there at the microwaves. After 10 minutes of explaining that I was just kidding, I don't think I made a new friend that day.

Niko Planke

Hey mattjgerard

You can force the migration tool to show up.
But note that this will overwrite any settings or Workspaces you might have saved during the KS 8 Beta.

The Migration tool will only run if you have no settings stored for KeyShot 8 yet. It is therefore important that you remove, move or rename (if you have resources you want to back up) the KeyShot 8 Resource folder.

If you reinstall KeyShot 8 using the full installer after removing/moving/renaming the resource folder  the Migration tool should show up.

After migrating you can move you backup-ed KeyShot 8 resources back into the resource folder location and you should be up and running.
Note: If you want to keep your migrated KeyShot 7 workspaces and settings make sure to not copy the backuped KS8settings file into the resource folder.

Mario Stockinger

I got a new Licence File for KS8, now its working

mattjgerard

Excellent advice Niko, thanks. I am awaiting an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, so I think after that happens I will do a clean install of KS8. We store all our shared materials, environments and texture libaries on a shared network drive, so other than those (Which I will backup) hopefully a clean install will fix some things. The Background render image is working now in KS8 (still doesn't in 7, but don't care anymore) but my KS icons in the finder are still messed up. ksp and bip files both have the same icons, and no previews. I'll see if the reinstall fixes things.

Thanks!