Main Menu

Image Styles

Started by DMerz III, October 24, 2018, 03:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

Playing more and more with the image styles. Great addition in 8, very underrated feature.
It is, however, a little limiting for our massive workflow due to not being able to 'save' and 'load' settings from other files.

For instance, if I have a specific curves configuration. I'd like to be able to reuse that same curve in a separate .bip

In photoshop you can save and load custom curves. An extension of this would be to allow for import of those curve files, Adobe calls them .acv (of course, that's assuming that's not a proprietary file type only adobe can use, in which case, I understand if it isn't possible to do this).

If this is already possible and I am just not seeing it available, I apologize and would love it if someone could show me the light.

Rex

Image Styles are included when importing a .bip

mattjgerard

Styles library in the future?

Or as part of my ongoing whining about being able wanting to be able copy/paste items from one KS doc to another open KS doc?

DMerz III

Ahh, thanks, Rex! I guess that is an obvious answer, problem is sometimes, I have a heavy .bip with all of these styles and would need to import lots of geometry along with the .bip...I guess I could clean up the .bip ahead of time.

Perhaps, I could save a special startup.bip with all of the image styles I need for on-going projects....I'll try that!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 25, 2018, 05:44:35 AM

Or as part of my ongoing whining about being able wanting to be able copy/paste items from one KS doc to another open KS doc?

Isn't this what LUTs are pretty much? Loading LUTs could be cool.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 25, 2018, 08:16:28 AM

Little bit different purpose, LUT is normally a video grading ter,  but in the same vein, yes. I'm not well versed on the inner workings of the LUT standard of storing information, but I'm sure there is a way to repurpose it for KS. This sort of thing is in use in PS and now Keyshot as "presets" but they are not interchangeable, they are software dependant. The advantage of LUTs are that they are generally software independent (xml I think?) and would be to be able to develop a look in PS then save the LUT and use it in a KS image style preset. There's some power there for automating things and condensing workflows, which I'm all about! So, I like that idea very much! Then, add another tab to the cloud library for LUTs!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 25, 2018, 08:26:43 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 25, 2018, 08:16:28 AM

Little bit different purpose, LUT is normally a video grading ter,  but in the same vein, yes. I'm not well versed on the inner workings of the LUT standard of storing information, but I'm sure there is a way to repurpose it for KS. This sort of thing is in use in PS and now Keyshot as "presets" but they are not interchangeable, they are software dependant. The advantage of LUTs are that they are generally software independent (xml I think?) and would be to be able to develop a look in PS then save the LUT and use it in a KS image style preset. There's some power there for automating things and condensing workflows, which I'm all about! So, I like that idea very much! Then, add another tab to the cloud library for LUTs!

I'm not super familiar with the technical aspect either but a LUT is a 'Look-Up Table' in which a color value gets swapped or remapped to another value afaik.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 25, 2018, 08:30:41 AM

I'm not super familiar with the technical aspect either but a LUT is a 'Look-Up Table' in which a color value gets swapped or remapped to another value afaik.

You are correct. Just like when you guys educated me about "tone mapping" (still image term) which accomplishes a similar thing, the term LUT is a very video-centric term, for good or bad. The video industry sort of took a simple curves adjustment setting and fed it crack and bathed it in coke. What came out the other side is what they call now "color science" and every stinking digital video/cinema camera has its own color science, and is provided with its own LUTs specific to that camera's raw footage. We used it to take the flat desaturated raw video feed from the cameras and sent it through a LUT for displaying to the client monitors.

Now simple 1D and 2D LUTS are old school and everything is 3D LUTs which are quite intricate in architecture, at least to me. I get what they do, just not schooled on best practices when using. As in the keyshot tradition if there is a way to take the theory of LUTs and keep the user side of it simple an easy to understand, you guys can do it. When it gets boiled down, we are basically talking about the image styles that you have already implemented. Maybe there is a way to map a LUT to the controls that are already there. And being able to save that image style out to a LUT that can be exchanged and shared?

Rex

Quote from: DMerz III on October 25, 2018, 07:47:51 AM
Ahh, thanks, Rex! I guess that is an obvious answer, problem is sometimes, I have a heavy .bip with all of these styles and would need to import lots of geometry along with the .bip...I guess I could clean up the .bip ahead of time.

Perhaps, I could save a special startup.bip with all of the image styles I need for on-going projects....I'll try that!

Yep, you can go to Edit > Clear Geometry then Save As.

DMerz III

Whoa, totally forgot about that function. Beautiful!

mattjgerard

Quote from: Rex on October 25, 2018, 10:09:22 AM

Wow, dang that something I've never even saw... Nice!