Can't pan Geometry view on Mac with Magic Mouse?

Started by Aeonjoey, October 25, 2018, 08:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeonjoey

Just wanted to share a solution we found for our Mac users who can't pan geometry view with the Apple Magic Mouse due to no 3rd mouse button.
As you might know, Geometry view ignores all settings for key commands.

Teh fix is to use any free utility that enables a 3rd mouse button click with a gesture on the Magic Mouse, in our case we got "Better Touch Tool", and though you can enable an area on the top of the mouse to act as a third button, it's difficult for users to tell where, so we've found that enabling 'two button click' as 'Middle button' solves the issue nicely. see screenshots.

Now if only Luxion would fix this so that Geometry view respects the same keyboard shortcuts the rest of the interface does, we wouldn't need byzantine workarounds like this, but enjoy!

TGS808

I found an even better solution: Toss the Apple Magic Mouse into the trash can, where it belongs.  ;D ;)

This isn't on Luxion. That mouse is easily one of Apple's worst designs ever. They were so concerned with making it look "cool", they neglected to make it usable. If ever there was a case of style over substance, this is it.

mattjgerard

I can partially agree with you on this one. I got so sucked in by the gestures on that mouse that I totally ignored the fact it was wrecking my forearms and giving me tendonitis attacks every month so that I had to switch to my wacom tablet to let it heal. The really missed an opportunity for putting some great tech into an actual ergonomic mouse. I bought the most expensive mouse the local store had, the Logitech MX master, and compared to the MM its a huge hunk of a thing, but the odd thing is that it was actually lighter than the MM was. As a designer, video editor and motion graphics guy, small mouse movements were the norm, and that heavy brick of a MM was killing me. Once I swtiched, my tendonitis went away. I know people that love them, and will use them religiously. I get it, it can be a great little mouse, but dang, make one that fits an adult hand!

Great idea on paper, but in practice, for people that are hardcore mousers, its a tough one to use.

Eric Summers

I have a new iMac at home and I refuse to use the Magic Mouse because it is uncomfortable for even light use. I'm still using the Mighty Mouse that I've had for years, it's at least a little better.

At work I have a 3Dconnexion CAD mouse and it's fantastic! It fits my hand comfortably, isn't too heavy and you can customize the button functions a ton. It took a while to adjust to having a middle mouse button instead of having to click the scroll wheel, but now I would never go back.

TGS808

And that's not to mention the battery life. The original one ran on two AAs that died almost as soon as you put them in causing you to be constantly replacing batteries. The current incarnation lost the batteries and instead, is charged by connecting it to a USB port. However, they put the connection port on the underside of the mouse so you can't charge it and use it at the same time. Another epic fail. Give me a mouse with a cord any day of the week.

TGS808

Quote from: Eric Summers on October 26, 2018, 08:09:28 AM
I have a new iMac at home and I refuse to use the Magic Mouse because it is uncomfortable for even light use. I'm still using the Mighty Mouse that I've had for years, it's at least a little better.

Same here. I have no problems with that Mighty Mouse. (I use it at work too) Sometimes the scroll ball gets a little stuck but you can clean it pretty easily. Thing is, Apple doesn't make that mouse anymore. They only sell the Magic Mouse now. I found someone on Amazon who had the Mighty Mouse in stock and I bought a couple of them to have as back ups. Just in case.

Will Gibbons

Funny topic here!

I'm biased but have to agree with TGS808 first response here.

In KeyShot, you can set up custom hotkeys to change how your mouse (camera control) behaves in KeyShot. Simply press the 'K' key and click 'edit/customize' button in bottom right-hand corner. No need for a 3rd party app.