Basic to Photographic

Started by mattjgerard, October 30, 2018, 12:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I see that the look of the image changes when I switch from Basic to photograph mode in the Image styles. I was thinking I would be able to just to switch over with the image retaining the look it has so I can make some finer adjustments.

Is there a way to retain the default "look" of the image when changing to photographic controls? I see that the gamma adjustement goes away, so I assume that this adjustment is no longer applied in the photographic adjustments. Are there some defaults I can enter into the photographic controls to get back to the look I had when in the basic controls?

i see that turning on the background color will get me the white background again instead of the grey.

Will Gibbons

Hey Matt,

In short, not as of yet.

That said, the white background is easily fixed by scrolling to the bottom of Image Styles and enabling background color.

As for why the grayed out effect happens... I'm going to keep this vague so I don't misspeak, but I believe that this gets into how gamma is handled and the difference between gamma space and linear space. This gets into some of the differences in a fairly simple manner: http://www.kinematicsoup.com/news/2016/6/15/gamma-and-linear-space-what-they-are-how-they-differ

Once applying a Photographic Image Style, I tend to go to exposure and contrast to try to start with something close to the Basic Image Style.

mattjgerard

Thanks Will, that answers a couple questions that I had.

First off, don't expect the image appearance to stay the same when switching between the two due to the different colorspace that is being worked with. That's totally cool, now that I understand whats going on. In video its akin to working with the proxy video that has LUT's baked into it vs the RAW ungraded video that looks flat and washed out, basically making you start from scratch.

Second, I need to butch up on gamma and my color grading again. Was deep into it years ago, but time to dust off those skills again. Same basic concepts as video, but different terminology.

Appreciate the link, looks to be a good informative read.

Prof

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 09, 2018, 10:40:01 AM
That said, the white background is easily fixed by scrolling to the bottom of Image Styles and enabling background color.
Ah... enable background color. However, that kills my shadows. How do you maintain a white GP and background and control shadows in photographic mode? My scene: white BG on GP with Ground material... two point lights and two pins.