Surfaces Exploded on Selection

Started by MrMellor, November 01, 2018, 07:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMellor

Since upgrading to Keyshot 8 I have problems when I select parts of my model. The selection view shows all the surfaces exploded which is not the case in my original model. My model can still be rendered but it causes problems with adding radius to the edges of parts. I have attached an image of what this looks like selected and not selected, plus I have uploaded a KSP and model.

I am running Rhino 6 and my other colleagues running the same software do not have this same problem. Let me know what other information you need from me

INNEO_MWo

Does it help if you change the setting "outline selection by CPU"?

MrMellor

Quote from: MWo on November 01, 2018, 11:39:33 AM
Does it help if you change the setting "outline selection by CPU"?

MWo, thanks for the tip, that helped with the selection problem but I am still having troubles rounding most things. I tested rounded edges from Keyshot 8 and it is only working on large blocks. I have a few examples comparing the 2 together. let me know if you have any advice on this.

INNEO_MWo

Luxion has improved this feature in Version 7.x a lot.
Now the value is sensitive to the unit system. Perhaps you'll need other values as in KeyShot 6. If the scene is in meters, you'll need a small value depending on the thickness.
IMHO it is working much more better and can be applied to one or several groups and parts.

(And by the way: please open a new thread if the topic changes. So other users will find this easier)

Cheers
Marco

MrMellor

I can repost a new thread but wanted to know if keyshot 8 will give thinner parts a rounded edge. The block below is solid while the shapes above it are 18 gauge, about .06 thickness. I have tried dozens of sizes on rounded edge for the 18 gauge and it still looks sharp, let me know.

INNEO_MWo

Any chance to share the CAD file of these blue parts?

MrMellor

Sure, see attached

INNEO_MWo

You've run into a known bug (it is documented in the limitations of the what's new document).
I just use re-tesselation to the parts to let KeyShot calculate the normals.

(and to be honest - I've used KeyShot 8.1 (beta)).

But this solutions should work with 8.0, too?!

All details in the attached bip file.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Marco

MrMellor

I will play around with that, my coworker just found part of the issue. I will open a new thread but if you drag and drop/import a model into keyshot it won't round small part edges. He did find that if you live link the model over, it will allow you the ability to round the edges. That does effect some of our process but we can make a work around.