Please improve Plugins!

Started by PeterSwift, November 06, 2018, 01:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterSwift

The Plugins have not been working correctly for quite some time and I just hope that it's possible to fix this. It would speed up the process a lot for us. Even more for us Fusion360 users.
We love keyshot I we jus want it better for everyone so I hope it's doable to fix this! :)

The this is that is 2 problems.
1. Can't save the file correctly.
2. The main problem is no Nurbs data + can't change tessellation. So my models are too low resolution and depending on how the model is done it can be more or less bad. Making me unable to use the plugin at all.

To go into detail on the first issue.
1. If I send the file with the plugin I can't save the file wherever I want. Not on our server connected on our network. (Using MacOS)
But If I change it to my desktop I can do it. If I reopen the file I can now save it where ever I want.
Maybe this help you figure out the problem. If I use the plugin, then it send the file to keyshot 7. If I go into preferences . Change some setting and try to save changes. it shows this popup." Could not save configuration to /Library/Application Support/Keyshot7/KS7Settings.xml  Please check permissions for writing this file"

Keep up the good work!

MACOS 10.14
Keyshot 7.3.40
But it's been like this for more then a year sense I first downloaded the fusion360 plugin.

danielsweitzer@mac.com

I agree. Fusion 360 to Keyshot 8 crashes when I use the plugin to import.

iMacPro
OS 10.14.1 Mojave
3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB

danielsweitzer@mac.com

This is what I get before Fusion 360 crashes and the link fails. If anyone can help please do. I can't work in Keyshot without being able to import.

iMacPro
Fusion 360
OS 10.14.1 Mojave
3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
Keyshot 8.1.61

Niko Planke

Hey,

Sadly I can not reproduce the issue on my end.
Currently I am testing with the Latest Fusion 360 plugin for KeyShot 8 and the Latest version for KeyShot 7 and could not observe the described behavior.

I can see that both of you are on OS Mojave, did you try reinstalling KeyShot after upgrading the OS?
Please also make sure to use the Plugin version matching your KeyShot version. The KeyShot 7 plugin may cause unexpected behavior if used with KeyShot 8.

The issue could be caused by multiple things, can you please provide more information regarding:
The License Type
Can KeyShot start and save if started directly from the applications folder
Is the Firewall or a 3rd party security app enabled or installed
Are you using an user account with admin permissions.

And anything else that you might consider relevant to the issue.

danielsweitzer@mac.com

Hello Niko,

Thank you for your reply. Were you able to get Fusion 360 + Keyshot 8 Plugin + Keyshot 8 to work with Mojave? If so I will reset my machine. and reload everything. I migrated to my new iMac Pro from on older Mac Pro machine so there might be legacy issues that I can't fathom.

Best,

Dan

mattjgerard

Quote from: danielsweitzer@mac.com on November 29, 2018, 04:46:36 AM
Hello Niko,

Thank you for your reply. Were you able to get Fusion 360 + Keyshot 8 Plugin + Keyshot 8 to work with Mojave? If so I will reset my machine. and reload everything. I migrated to my new iMac Pro from on older Mac Pro machine so there might be legacy issues that I can't fathom.

Best,

Dan

Being a long time mac user (15+ years) OSX has one of the best "upgrade-in-place" systems out there. Normally it is pretty transparent and works. But, I've had issues with dregs of older OS components messing up installs and operations for other apps, and have greatly benefited from a clean install. It sucks, and takes time and I hate setting everything up again, but the gains in speed, trimming out the junk from other OS upgrades is worth it. Moving from 10.6 to 10.7 was a nightmare at first, my top end macpro dual CPU best of everything was just slow and doggy after the update. After a clean install the thing was twice as fast as before in starting up applications and any finder actions. I dug into the clone that I made before I did the clean install and found installer components and bits and pieces from way back in 10.3 that were never cleared out and were causing problems.

There's a reason why tech supports first and second recommendations is to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. I just don't think that's needed when my printer won't connect, but hey that's me :)

danielsweitzer@mac.com

Thank you for your response. My first mac was an apple II-C ;-). If no-one else is having these issues with the new Fusion 360 to Keyshot 8 - Plugin then it has to be something happening internally with my system. I'm going to put the coffee pot on and do this clean install later tonight. I thought perhaps it was the new OS Mojave with the new Keyshot 8 version that might have some bugs. Not an impossible thought. If this doesn't work then ....

danielsweitzer@mac.com

Well the clean install was the solution. Sorry I didn't think of this sooner. Thank you all for your suggestions and help to get me thinking! Too many old OS X versions were causing problems. Yikes !

Niko Planke

Thanks for the update.

I am glad that it works for you now.

In case you run into any other problems just let us know.

Also be assured that we are aware of the issue related to tessellation in the Fusion 360 plugin that you mentioned.
Sadly there are some technical limitations that need to be overcome before that can be solved.

The best workaround is to export the model as step file from fusion and import that into KeyShot.

danielsweitzer@mac.com

Thank you for your support. One thing to note with importing with the step files into Keyshot is that if you use the function in Fusion 360 to "Split Faces", the Split Faces do not translate over to Keyshot with the step file or the other file formats only with the plugin. I don't know why but when I tried using the other file formats the split faces did not show in Keyshot. With the plugin transfer to Keyshot, the translation does keep these Split Faces feature, which is a critical detail in my designs. That is why the plugin was so critical to me to have back. It's above my pay grade to know why but it is a situation that exists.