Wacky geometry from Solidworks to Keyshot

Started by skaggs, November 12, 2018, 12:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaggs

The image tells the whole story.  Is there a way to fix this?

Eric Summers

Was this sent to KeyShot using the SW plugin or was the assembly imported from within KeyShot? What software versions? Any odd hidden surfaces that might be causing an issue? You might try Edit Normals in the geometry view on the problem surface or body. I can't say I've ever run into something like this before.

skaggs

I tried both the SW plugin and opened in Keyshot.  Keyshot 7 and now 8 with the same result.  No odd surfaces in SW I can see.  I tried to Edit Normals it took a long time editing small bits and was not able to remove all extraneous geometry.

Eric Summers

Hmm, that is perplexing. That almost looks like when a spline handle gets moved way off.

It sounds like it might be something in the part file of the seat. Maybe you could roll back the tree a ways and send it to KS to see if you can isolate the feature that is causing the problem. I know we've seen files that look fine in SW, but they have issues when being saved as STLs that trace back to a problematic feature. It could be something similar.

DMerz III

Mixing cycling with 90s hockey hair, nice!

Kidding aside, I hope you find a solution, that's always a frustrating encounter.

Eric Summers

Quote from: DMerz III on November 12, 2018, 03:04:24 PM
Mixing cycling with 90s hockey hair, nice!

Haha, either that or the seat is made of chocolate and is melting  :P

Sean

If switching to NURBS rendering makes it look better, you could try using "Re-Tesselate" from the right-click menu in KeyShot. That might clean up the rogue surfaces.
However, since both import and plugin are tripping up on this model, it suggests that the NURBS surfaces might be broken as well.

Is there any chance you can pass the model along to support@luxion.com? I'd love to take a look at what's happening here.