Could I select multiple object when applying "Calculate vertex normals"?

Started by mertee, November 18, 2018, 11:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mertee

Hi Guys:
Sometime you have to "Calculate vertex normals" to make object render correctly, but when you have many objects, you will have to click hundred times(right-click > Edit Geometry > Edit Normals > Calculate Vertex Normals), my question is, Could I select multiple object when applying "Calculate vertex normals"?
or do you have any clue to write a script to do this tedious job automatically?

mattjgerard

This would be very nice. Or have the options to perform the function upon import.

INNEO_MWo

Would it help if you export your scene as obj and re-import the file with calculate normals within the import?

It's a workaround but should keep the structure and the colors.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

I have yet to see the calculate normals in the import dialog. Is this file type independent? Most of my imports are stp and solidworks

mertee

There is an option "Calculate average" , already tried, but it doesn't help.
in attached image ,the two spheres above shows obj which has been applied"Calculate average" in import dialog, the one below show the result of "Calculate Normal", see the difference?

Quote from: MWo on November 19, 2018, 09:45:47 AM
Would it help if you export your scene as obj and re-import the file with calculate normals within the import?

It's a workaround but should keep the structure and the colors.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

INNEO_MWo

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on November 20, 2018, 08:23:49 AM
then perhaps fbx would do the right job?

FBX is my goto file format when I need to, but my import settings don't show a calculate normals option on import.