Is there a way to control of vertical and horizontal model position

Started by jeffw, August 19, 2011, 07:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffw

From what I can see there is no way to numerically control or set the vertical and horizontal position of the model in
the view window. I can set camera settings but notice I can move the model up,down and side to side and it does
not change the camera setting. I do save my camera views but sometimes get messed up because I have moved the
model and don't know it because the camera settings show no change. Only when I put the rendered image on top
of a previous rendering in Photoshop can I see something has shifted. Am I missing something or is this the way it works.

Jeff

Chad Holton

Hi jeffw,

You can control the x,y & z position under the Scene Tab in the Options box.

Chad

jeffw

Chad,

Yes I realize x,y,z position can be controlled in the scene tab. However while the numeric position values
will move the model, if you move the model with the mouse it does not change the numeric values. This is my
problem. The model gets moved by the mouse and there is no numeric indication of the change.

Jeff

Chad Holton

Hi Jeff,

The reason these numeric values don't change in the scene tab is because you're not moving the object. I assume you mean when you pan the camera - there is no way to get back to your intended view with numerical values? You must save your views and remember to use those before rendering. Not sure if this will be a feature later on...

Best regards,

Chad

jeffw

Yes I know about saving views but I am not following your explanation. I can select my saved view and then with the scroll wheel depressed move my model to one side of the screen. The camera settings have not changed nor have the scene values yet the model is now way out of position from the saved view. Something has changed but you are saying the model has not moved. I don't get it.

Chad Holton

When you are moving your mouse with the scroll wheel depressed, you are panning the camera - technically the model isn't moving but the camera is (yes, it does look like the model is moving  ;) ).  There is no numeric values to control panning the camera.

jeffw

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. It sound like it is similar to a dolly move in motion picture cameras. A locked camera can move sideways on the dolly while keeping the same POV. I think I will suggest have numeric pan values for a future release.