Sending stuff back to ZBrush.

Started by MealeaYing, November 22, 2018, 07:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MealeaYing

Hi!
Im curious about sending stuff I have made back from KeyShot7 pro to ZBrush, there used to be a button (in 5-6 if I remember correctly, and in the non-pro, for ZBrush version) that indicated that it would do this, but it never seemed to work, and now I cant find it.
How is this done? I cant get my objects out of KeyShot at all...

Cheers!
Mealea

MealeaYing

Got it sort of, but the "return to linked application" button does nothing.
I found Export under the file menu, but neither .fbx, .obj or .zpr work correctly. Some cause nasty crashes in either Keyshot or ZBrush.

Does anyone know how to go about using export to get my stuff back into ZBrush?

Niko Planke

Hey MealeaYing,

There might be some confusion regarding the "return to linked application" button.
The Button will only bring the Linked application (f.i. ZBrush) back into the focus, it will not send any changes in keyshot back into the application.
The button will only show up if you have transferred data Via A Livelinking plugin.

If you have the Pro Version of KeyShot you can Export the model  as OBJ,FBX,GLTF,STL and ZPR (Note: This refers to files used for 3d printing and not to Zbrush project files)
Not all material settings in KeyShot can be translated for these file formats so you may not get all material information out in those formats.

Can you provide a bit more information regarding the Crashes you see when using the export functionality?

MealeaYing

Yep, but first that button does nothing at all, not even bring ZBrush back up.
The crashes were one with KeyShot simply vanishing while trying to export a ZBrush project, the next was ZBrush crashing while trying to open an exported (from KeyShot) .Obj file and another with a .fbx file. The rest was Keyshot outputting stuff that either ZBrush couldn't open or, if it could, was mangled.
What Im trying to do now, since I have a bunch of things made in ZBrush and saved in KeyShot is extract the stuff in the KeyShot files as its easier (ha! famous last words) than digging through hundreds of ZBrush files trying to find the originals.
KeyShot actually has preview icons and stuff, and the things I saved in KeyShot are the ones I want to work with which for me is amazingly useful. This sort of thing is the primary reason I switched to pro, that export feature could be wonderful if I could get it working.